Thread: Nominate AO for National Information Assurance Leadership Award??

Nominate AO for National Information Assurance Leadership Award??

As a newbie I don't want to presume too much. I subscribe - like many others here - to the SANS newsletter by email.

In this weeks it had this:

"5 August 2002 National Information Assurance Leadership Awards nominations are now open. If you know of a group or consortium that has made a substantial difference in improving information security in the US (and the world) over the past twelve months, write a summary of their contribution and send it before August 20 to awards@sans.org."

Does anyone know if we could nominate AO for this? I was informed of AO via one of my security news emails. I think it referenced a story on one of the mag websites. Anyway, it seems to me that AO should be considered for this.

Again, as a newbie, I wonder if one of the senior members would write the "summary?"

BTW, I did a search and didn't see this in any of the other discussions, so I'll be glad to delete the thread if I am repeating anything.

I would be honored to write the summary, if I could get some input from more senior members.

Well lets see JP and AO have been out here humm how long JP? Lets put it this way AO was one of the first to push out this info and well over 12 months more like what about 8 years or so long before anyone else, so AO'ers we have some work to do so John if he likes the idea users here can toot to point out how long you have spent with security issues. Hope it brings in a few bucks to the site as well.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I think JP did some **** with the DoD. You could write about that.
    Oh, we flamed some people asking about hacking Hotmail... you could write about that as well.

I hope nobody takes it the wrong way, but I honestly don't think AO really ranks up there as a proactive do-gooder organization... I mean, is AO really an organization more than a site? :/
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Well, I don't think it's an organisation either. It's more of a community...

Originally posted here by Terr
    I hope nobody takes it the wrong way, but I honestly don't think AO really ranks up there as a proactive do-gooder organization... I mean, is AO really an organization more than a site? :/

Hmmm.... Terr is probably right. However, I noticed that the request for nominations referred to a "group or consortium." Beats me I thought I'd post the thread cause I don't know if AO is a "group or consortium" and I didn't want to make any assumptions or presumptions.

Anywho, At least I'm learning what people think AO is or isn't.

Thanks for the help, ya'll