Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicide threads

Old Fart

Suicide threads

Well JP, this is probably a bonehead suggestion, but is there any way to tune the nature of the threads so that they only commit suicide if the original post gets negged? I've noticed several valid threads go belly-up due to the posts of one or two idiots. IMHO, which ain't worth much, it would be an improvement if the post that gets all the negs disappears while the thread lives on. There is a discussion of this already going in chit-chat.....http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=233353
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

/me voices my support

great idea, in my "skulking period i saw that happened @ least 5 times in a month.....
    ..::BSD::..

I had a post in one of the threads that went Suicidal, and also received a negative w/ some sort of "Balance" comment. I have also noticed that this has been happening to alot of older untouched posts that have been bumped up.

i agree and think that you have a great suggestion. it is a waste and prevents legit comments and contribution.

Old Fart
    Joey...I just got negged with the balance comment too...the point I'm trying to make is that there is no 'true' balance as far as the threads go because they can die regardless of their validity. I'm not bitchin' here, just making a suggestion that seems workable from where I stand. If a thread dies, it should die because it's a bad thread, not because it got one or two bad responses.
    Al

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I have seen a lot of threads where the first one or two posts are good posts. Then everything else in the thread is garbage. A 4 page flame war in one case (although this was a while ago). The original post didn't even need to be replied to, because it was a joke thread. Why should that thread NOT go suicide? It would have cut down on a LOT of garbage that should never have been posted in the first place. This was before the Tech Humor forum and the suicide threads. Anyway, with your proposal, we still would have had 4 pages of flames just wasting space.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Old Fart
    A very valid point, souleman. I would hope that forum moderators would do their part to keep circumstances like that from happening. Again, I'm not protesting the AP system, just the killing of valid threads. Maybe what I should be suggesting is that moderators have the ability to revive good threads gone bad after removing the offensive posts. Any thoughts on that point?
    Al

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    The moderators? There are only a few moderators, and each one has his/her own forum. MsMittens only does the AO Newsletter forum. Terr only does the AO Addicts thread. Ennis (if he ever comes back) does General Chit Chat. Negative does Cosmos, Tutorials, and General Chit Chat (for now). So that means that only 5 forums actually have moderators. Not ever suicidal thread is in one of those forums. Also, that would mean Negative would be the only one that determins if a thread comes back or not. And only in the forums he moderates.

When ennis first became a moderator, he would remove stupid/offensive posts. Everyone complained that he was removing posts. Now you are encouraging posts to be removed...

A possible, valid idea along that idea though.... If only 1 post in a thread is getting negative points, AND it gets X number of negative points (ie 100 negatives or something), then that post is automatically deleted. Or if any one post gets over 100 negatives, it is deleted. That would also help cut down on the banned newbies... It takes something like 150 negative points to make a thread go suicidal right now. The biggest problem with this is that I have seen a lot of stupid posts completely change the topic of a thread, and there would still be a lot of flame posts after that....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

it would be an improvement if the post that gets all the negs disappears while the thread lives on.

If a thread dies, it should die because it's a bad thread, not because it got one or two bad responses.
    allenb1963 this is a great idea, since we are already talking about the "subject we're not sposed to talk about" I think we have noticed the bump and kill method at work here. IMHO I believe that this is happening because you ( by the rules ) are not allowed ( even if you want to ) to sign AP awards. If it automatically signed the AP award each time it is used, or even if it was only auto on negative posts, then these kidz that are " balancing " would have to answer to the posters they negged...or...

Set the system so that you have to be a junior member, senior, addict, etc. before you have the right to neg a post, you can give greens, just not reds. That will generate a better user base because, it will take longer than they have patience for, before they would be able to wreak havoc on their victims.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by souleman
    A possible, valid idea along that idea though.... If only 1 post in a thread is getting negative points, AND it gets X number of negative points (ie 100 negatives or something), then that post is automatically deleted. Or if any one post gets over 100 negatives, it is deleted. That would also help cut down on the banned newbies... It takes something like 150 negative points to make a thread go suicidal right now. The biggest problem with this is that I have seen a lot of stupid posts completely change the topic of a thread, and there would still be a lot of flame posts after that....
    Excellent suggestion, souleman....maybe lowering the number of negs to say, 50 or so might take care of the flame war problem too. As for the change of topic, it would behoove the original poster to moniter the thread and try to keep people steered back towards the original topic.
    Al