Thread: Strange message!

It's a gas!

Strange message!

Hi Guys

Just thought id post to see if you guys know what may have happened to me and my box last night!

I just dialled up on my internet connection and immediately a message appeared 'You have correctly configured your computer to re-format. After restarting you will need to re-install your operating system'

For a second the gravy train was coming my way but i caught myself on and did a full system scan using NAV and low and behold about 6 backddor.subseven trojans were found!?!

Once i discovered this i did another full system scan using The Cleaner but nothing more was found.

What puzzled me is that my Firewall is permanently enabled and auto protect is enabled on my AV s/w!

SO my question is how did they install this trojan on my system and why bother?!?

Cheers guys

r3b00+

Hi mom!
    Probably trought an attachment of email. Are you sure you run an up to date virusscanner?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

It's a gas!
    I update twice a week and i only open attachments from trusted persons!

r3b00+

Hi mom!
    Thing is, most 'trusted people' don't know they're sending you crap
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

It's a gas!
    Yeah but surely NAV would have detected the trojan when i received it, even if it was from a trusted person!

I would have to ask, are you the only one with physical access to the machine ? Is it possible someone else could have installled some software on the machine without your knowledge ?

To the best of my knowledge AV software rely on identifying the signatures of the trojan/virus code, a suitably determined person could craft the said code to slip it past the AV - if only for a short time, or until it has been identified and the AV vendor supplies the update.

I am far from an expert, even an ameteur when you think about it, but there are more ways of transmitting a virus than through an email attachment, a malicious website for instance. It might be time to review your browser settings etc ... someone here might be able to fill in more details.

I personally don't accept any attachments via email and have fairly restrictive browser settings and I have been virus free for longer than I care to remember.

It's a gas!
    Im the only person with physical access to my box, well except my girlfriend who doesnt know how to turn the thing on!

Someone could alter the code of the trojan, but the AV s/w should recognise it as a variant of the subseven trojan, therefore alerting me to it, no?!?

Hi mom!
    Only if you have that bloodhound thingy (or was that McAfee? Anyway, it's a 'detect virus-like thingies' type of option) is enabled. And remember, that virusscanner only scans active files. You'd have to manually scan your harddrive to find subseven if you already had it installed.

Oh, are you on a LAN? If so, someone could have sent you a net send prank. Run this entire line from command line, and see if it results in the same message:

net send 127.0.0.1 You have correctly configured your computer to re-format. After restarting you will need to re-install your operating system

It's a gas!
    Thanx guys for taking the time to post to this edgit, but no Guus im not on a LAN.

Just baffled!!!

Ta guys