Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certifications

Certifications

Just wondering what Certs everyone has, and recommends.

I do web design and development, so I went and got my Master CIW Designer certification. (www.ciwcertified.com).
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Yea, Joey, I had that stuff covered way back in tech school too. I was wondering more about MS, Novell, or any kind of Security Certs.

Don't get any!
    Go to college
    NetWork World survey of salaries
    " No professional certifications = $73,850
    One professional certification = $69,170
    Two or more professional certifications = $67,590"
    Network World July 22,2002 Volume 19 Number 29 page 48

Originally posted here by netman4ttm
    Don't get any!
    Go to college
    NetWork World survey of salaries
    " No professional certifications = $73,850
    One professional certification = $69,170
    Two or more professional certifications = $67,590"
    Network World July 22,2002 Volume 19 Number 29 page 48
    I'll buy that. My MCP didn't get me anything in this world. Not that an MCP could do anything anyway. However, for system security, I have found that many of the big companies that have heavy security (government contractors like Lockheed Martin, and Rockwell) generally require a CISSP. I think it's one of the more respected certifications in the security field.

In my experience, the lower range certs (Network+, A+, MCP), are pretty worthless.
    The midrange ones (CCNA, MCSE) can get you an interview and have good information, but aren't much good beyond that.

There are specialized ones that may help you with a specific company. For example, if you really want to work for HP, Agilent, Compaq, etc., you may consider getting the basic HP-UX system administration cert. If you don't have it, though, some companies will get you certified shortly after you're hired.

I guess the best thing to come out of certifications is the level of knowledge that you gain. If you go for a cert in an area where you have no knowledge, they're VERY beneficial. If you're taking the A+ cert just to have a piece of paper saying you have the equivalent of 6-months experience with hardware to add to a resume listing 6 years worth of experience with hardware, what's the point?
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

The Iceman Cometh
    I have my MSCE. I learned everything for the A+ (which, honestly didn't take all that long considering I already knew most of it) but decided I couldn't justify spending money on a test which would just give me a piece of paper. I'm currently going for my MCSD+I which, although is somewhat boring, is teaching me a great deal about programming with Microsoft's Visual development tools.

The only reason I get certifications is because I love learning and it gives me something to strive for. I'm currently enrolled in college going for a BA in High-Tech Management and a minor in CS, and I'm going to get a Master's degree in CS once I am ready with my BA.

AJ

In regards to security, it depends on your area of concentration. The CISSP is an all-encompassing certification and is generally looked upon favorably within the security industry. More recently, the SANS/GIAC certifications (http://www.giac.org/certifications.php) appear to gaining appeal and popularity. The exams are fairly difficult; however, the important point with these certifications is that most require a practical (or a lengthy tutorial) on a specific part of the security subject matter to demonstrate knowledge and mastery of the subject at hand. I believe they will have a very positive impact on the information security industry and *help* in separating the talkers from the walkers.

...aberration...
    [shadow]
    \"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.\"
    ~ Albert Einstein ~ [/shadow]

If you're interested in the cert question as a means to a killer job, here's what you do.

Go to college. Major in your chosen area, minor in business. You should also take speech classes. Get an MCSE, MSCD, RHCE and CISSP. Also, learn the ins and outs of interviewing. Meditation will help as well so you don't kill your future users.

The old saying is "it's not what you know but who you know". The fact of the matter is, getting a job is about what your prospective employer thinks you know. Keeping a job is about what you know combined with your ability to execute while making it look easy.

Unfortunately, there is no easy to guarantee a good job. You have to do it all. Let's face it, working for a living sucks.
    SFNative
    ~ Nothing exceeds like excess ~

The certification debate is a hot one. Everyone has a different take on certs. If you're looking to get certs to get into the field, that's one thing. Getting certs when you've been in the field for X amount of years is different.
    For instance, i'm a network admin, and i've been working in IT for over 3 years. My company wants me to get my MS certs, and is paying for the tests and any studying time. They will then give me more cash when the certs are acquired...as they'll be making more money off of me.
    So, it all depends on where you're at in your career...and possibly what company you work for.

Also: Networking is the BEST thing you can do. I'm not talking about servers & such folks, i'm talking about getting to know more people. Get your name out there, meet people in the area that are in the industry. It's no secret that the best jobs always go un-advertised.

Good luck bro.

A year and a half ago, I was completly focused on certification. Spent big $$ taking a class I wasn't even prepared for (80% of that money was completly wasted). Focused on test questions, test strategy, etc.

Took a MS test and failed.

Since, I've completly changed my focus. I've built a routed W2k network at home and am learning my field choice (networking, system admin) from the ground up. I use Mark Minasi materials and some MS materials (I'm a total Mark Minasi/Sybex publishers fan).

It's still hard getting up a 4:30 am (I chose to study before work) but I'm enjoying myself sooo much more! Yes, the cert is still the goal but the knowledge is really more important.

I'm fortunate enough to also be working as net admin/help desk at a small construction firm.

Good luck and really think about spending $$ for classes, boot camps etc....

My humble opinion.