Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical Security Alert

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Exclamation Physical Security Alert

A 50-year-old lock design was rendered useless last week when a brief post to an internet forum revealed the lock can be popped open with a cheap plastic pen.
    The vulnerable Kryptonite locks use an axial pin tumbler, a common cylindrical design used in a wide variety of products. The lock's design was invented at least 50 years ago by Chicago Lock, said attorney and security consultant Mike Tobias, who claims to have first publicized the design's vulnerability five weeks ago.
    Read the full story here...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

It took 50 years for someone to realise a pen would cut it? *Sigh*.

So is this going to be like when people found out Master locks could be popped open by pulling down on them and spinning the thing around untill it wouldn't budge, and the number 5 up from what you landed on was the first number to the combo? Ahhh memories.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Sometimes the solution is so simple it is just overlooked as being a possibility..... been there...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

It was done 50 years ago. Hell, that's old enough that you may have even helped work on it.

If what I say is spelled wrong, or doesn't make as much sense, it would be because it's 9:10 AM, and I haven't been to bed yet from yesterday, didn't eat for two days, working two jobs, and going to college full time, and I have to work all weekend.

Damn, I could soooo pass out. Thank God for Vicodin and strong coffee. It's the reason I'm conciouse right now.

Speaking of old, my teacher talks about how old he is sometimes, and when he used to work for a company writing Assembler on Motorola 68000 Processors, and someone in class asked when he was born, and he said "in 51". I quickly replied "Yea, 18". That got a good laugh out of everyone. (I implied he was born in 1851....Not sure if anyone would get that because I look like a Zombie right now).

The lock's flaw was apparently first publicized in 1992 in the United Kingdom
    Yeah, after that I perfected the 18" spring loaded, hardened steel pin that shoots up through the saddle

BIC pen?............nah that's pussy stuff................the only plastic a real dude would use is PE4 (I think my American colleagues refer to it as "C4"?)

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by nihil
    the only plastic a real dude would use is PE4 (I think my American colleagues refer to it as "C4"?)

But then you can't re-use the lock...

If I am attempting to get passed a locked door with a lock I don't have the key for, I rarely plan on re-using the lock

This type of security, and Social Engineering, is something I'm actually good at.

And for the opening price of letting me take a nap right now and paying this month's bills, I'll test YOUR security

Regal Making Handler
    But then you can't re-use the lock..
    Silly just put a shaped charge next to the door and go through the wall. That way the lock can be re-used
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Heh, this reminds me of what I did a few months ago. TheHorse13 knows this one well because I made him piss himself laughing with it:

My Mom complained how the bills were to high from me turning the Central Air down to keep the house cold (I hate summer) and so she got this locked box, which is clear plastic, and put it over the Central Air control.

Well, one day my Aunt turned the damn thing up to 80 degrees, so the air wasn't coming on anytime soon and it was HOT outside. I don't have a key, so I was like OK, hmm, grabbed a paper clip and shoved it in the lock and twisted it to make it bent up a little, and this was after I screwed up trying to turn it down with a straw by sticking it through the vents on the box.

If you can picture me half asleep trying to pick the lock on it and realising this lock doesn't have the usual glitch most locks have, and my toys wouldn't open it. Then I see the answer. I grab a box cutter, and cut off one of the platic parts on the vent area, which you can't tell I did because I sanded the part I cut down, and it only makes that vent l arger slightly, just enough to get the paper clip inside.

Heh, I popped in the paper clip, reached the bar that you slide for temp changes, and turned the air down. Cleaned up evidence, and got away with it. Then I shut the vents almost all the way in every room but mine so the house was warmer than my room, and it would stay on longer, successfully making my room nice and cool.

Gore...

You're my hero.