Thread: good linux antivirus?

good linux antivirus?

I'm trying to find a good antivirus program for linux. Anyone have any suggestions? I searched on here and didn't see anything that said what was good. Need something that'll do more than just mail.

I personnally use f-prot. Here's a site for free a-v and other useful tools:

http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

BTW, I highly recommend that you read the Google tutorial here. It helped me.

And i think that it will be of great benefit to you, as well.

Cheers!

i have never had problems with virii under linux ... but as Zadok0552 said f-prot is really a good choice!!!

\"Imagination is more important than knowledge\" (A. Einstein)

I have never used AV for Linux. I was wondering... is the AV for Mail gateways, file server, FTP (all kinds of files get stored there) especially geared towards Windows clients? Or is it for Linux itself? If that's the case, how many virus definitions does it have...three or four?

What would be really cool is an anti-rootkit that will alert you to any changes to binaries like netstat, etc.

Just wondering.

Re: good linux antivirus?

i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Magus255 -- excellent question, but virii cannot propagate on a linux/unix system as rapidly as on a Windows system because of the difficulty of average users having access to the kernel. While virii could certainly be coded for linux/unix, you just don't see this too often. Someone would have to code the virus to exploit a hole in security that no one knows about (very difficult these days), and then release the malicious code. If the virus can only gain access to a standard user, however, the virus probably won't have the access to muck with the important things. However, this is a good reason why you should never operate daily with the root account, you should always have a standard user that you use to log in.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

There are no more than a handful of known Linux viruses, and no known Linux email viruses. It's not that they are harder to write, but they are very difficult to propogate if you take even the most basic of precautions.

1. Don't run programs as Root unless you are doing actual administration of the system.
    2. Choose strong passwords.
    3. Don't run unneeded services. FTP and Telnet are notoriously easy to crack.
    4. Set up a decent firewall. I use Bastille which is very configurable.
    5. Install software only from trusted sources.

If you still feel the need for virus protection, try Tripwire. It watches for changes in programs and alerts you if anything changes.

The best anti-virus software for Linux lies between your ears. Learn something about Linux security and put it into practise.
    Paradise ain\'t all it\'s cracked up to be.

thanks for the help. i know linux viruses are not that common, and i've hardly ever gotten a virus with windows so i'm not too worried. just like to be prepared.