Silicon Graphics Indy Computer

Thread: Silicon Graphics Indy Computer

Question Silicon Graphics Indy Computer

I just recently aquired a Silicon Graphics Indy computer w/high res monitor,and Indy Cam, it was used for teleconferencing. It works great, it is running SG's version of unix, can anyone tell me how to intigrate this into my winblows2k pro network at home? I know it can be done because the guy I got it from had it on his win2k network.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

wouldnt that just involve some sort of samba client / server config?
    pretty sure IRIX would have something like that on it, you coudl always check out the sicligon graphics site (www.sgi.com) and they would certainly have some for of documentation on doing it

try this link for your indy if you didnt get any documentation
    http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/mips.html

Thanks mrleachy for your information to SGI, it was informative but does not offer the information I am looking for to connect this machine to my network, I need the CLI commands for IRIX 6.5xx. This thing has a GUI type frontend and networking options it can "see" the computers on my network only it can't connect keeps giving an error that it ccan't find some kind of host, also if I open netscape it is trying to make a connection over a lan to the internet, which is what I want it to do but then it gives the same host.something ( I don't have it set up to see message ) not found message.

I have an SGI Indy, and very cool they are too (Especially the boot-up jingle)

Your IP and/or DNS settings are wrong, which is why you are getting netscape's "The following hosts are unknown..." message.

If you're on a LAN which uses static IP addresses, static routes and a fixed DNS server, make sure you've set these settings right. I believe these can be set in the system manager or whatever your call it (I can't remember what anything's called on these things)

If you're on a LAN which uses DHCP, either obtain a fixed IP address from your network administrator or work out how to persuade IRIX to use DHCP.

As far as being able to "see" hosts is concerned, AFAIK SGIs only support NFS out of the box, so you might be able to browse NFS exported filesystems this way but not win2k shares etc.

You can "see" the machine over the network from a win2k box if it runs samba (I've done this and yes, it does work) - samba works well on SGI IRIX.

As far as the camera is concerned, I'm not too sure. I don't use mine much. I believe there is a video conference program which may ship with IRIX which is interoperable with M$ netmeeting.

Thank you slarty, I think you might have answered my question on the networking, I have this on a home network win2kpro, I do not have DNS or DHCP, I am using generic static IP adresses 192.168.0.x the IP adresses are right and my win2k machine "sees" the INDY since the guy I got it from ran it on his win2k network, then I assume he has samba on it...or does samba need to be on the win2k machine? As you can tell I am *nix illiterate, I have never tried to network this type of setup. I guess I need to hook it up again and play with it some more, main thing is getting it to work with the interne connection sharing in win2kpro. If it will, the guy I got it from was on DSL I am on dial up.

P.S. NFS is your term for NT File System? Should that be NTFS?

The Network File System (NFS) was developed to allow machines to mount a disk partition on a remote machine as if it were on a local hard drive. This allows for fast, seamless sharing of files across a network.

Full details on set up etc .... http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

it's pretty Linux generic by the looks, hope this helps.

Wow! Thats going to be a lot of reading...Thank you Phat_Penguin for your information, unfortunatly the network file system (NFS) is not going to help me get it an internet connection through my network. I am sure that the read will be quite educational though.