Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Networking Dial-up

Old Fart
    http://www.driverguide.com/indexddc.htm is a good source for drivers. Membership is free, and odds are you can find your missing drivers there. A word of advice...from my personal experience, winmodems are a pain in the butt...a true hardware modem will give much less trouble.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Developer Extraordinar
    Yeah, but what can I do for a WinModem in Linux with-out buying a new modem.

Ive been trying to work out the details on how to do this. Unfortunately its saturday night and apparently all my friends have lives. IE nobody is home. So I dont have anyone to try to connect to. Im reasonably sure that all you have to do is set the store machine to accept incoming connections and you can use the modem on your home computer to dial directly to it over the phone lines. Thanks for asking this question because this was something i wanted to try and never got around to actually doing. You should consider th3>kLuTzs offer to write a tutorial for you on how to do this since he has some experience with this. I wouldn't mind reading it myself. One thing thing to consider is that allowing the store computer to accept incoming connections is a security risk so use strong passwords on the store computer. What OS are you running at home and at the store? As for the Red Hat modem problem my suggestion would be to check the manufactuers website for Linux drivers. Im not sure if they make drivers for winmodems or not. Good Luck
    I dont read these.

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, dosn't really matter, becasue I'm using Windows now. Oops.