Thread: Floppy

Floppy

I just installed a CD-RW and now my floppy drive don't wodk. The cables are on right but the green lite stays on all the time.
    [glowpurple]How do you play the other side of a CD?[/glowpurple]

Banned
    You prolly nudged a floppy cable...

You've plugged the floppy lead in backwards. Or at least that's what the symptoms indicate.

I have made this mistke before, and it hasn't damaged anything so you should be ok.

yea i think you have pluged the lead in backwards, ive done it before aswell
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

I think that the floopy communication cable must have been nudged a little.

Ensure that the cable is connected properly and try it again.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

You probably messed up while connecting the cable... check it.

I recently did an upgrade on a computer and had the same problem, it turned out that the CD Rom drive was not fully ATAPI compatable. Removal of the CD drive solved the problem, then installation of a more popular brand drive was succesful. I was really stumped at first, the hard drives would not even spin up.

<edit> Also make sure that the CDRW is the master drive on the secondary controller, I have had the best luck with this config, CDRW drives do not like to be slaved, even though they have that option I never use it. I usually slave the CD or DVD off of the CDRW. Hope this helps. </edit>
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Yeah I agree it must have been plugged in backwards . Just turn it around and all should be fine.

aeallison... As far as I know there are no controllers out there matching both floppy and CDRom on ONE cable so I hope you didn't have plugged both in the same slot =). So it shouldn't bother your floppy either if your CDRom-Drive is ATAPI-compatible or not.

Sledge
    This post has been [shadow]sledged[/shadow]

I don't think that the IDE cables were incorectly installed (I think they will only go in one way), however, there is a good chance that the cdrom is sharing an existing IDE cable with another device. If this is the case, then It is possible that both devices are on the Master setting. Change the cdrom jumper to slave, and it should correct the problem.

This may not be a problem, I am merely guessing.

--Sudo

Originally posted here by Sledge
    Yeah I agree it must have been plugged in backwards . Just turn it around and all should be fine.

aeallison... As far as I know there are no controllers out there matching both floppy and CDRom on ONE cable so I hope you didn't have plugged both in the same slot =). So it shouldn't bother your floppy either if your CDRom-Drive is ATAPI-compatible or not.

Sledge
    That was my first thought too Sledge, the conclusion I came up with did not stop the motor on the floppy just the cd roms and hard drives, the floppy drive light was on and the drive was running with no disk in it. The motherboard is a gigabyte brand with a via kt333 chipset and an athlon thunderbird 1.3ghz, 512mb of 2700 ddr modules. When I removed the cdrom from the system, everything worked, that is all I can tell you, it had me totally stumped.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?