Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Dial-up

Developer Extraordinar

Networking Dial-up

Hello, is it possibly to network two or more computer though dial-up, say I was sitting here at my home computer, and my dad wated to go on and access he computer at his store, is there any way to network then, I'm quite new to the whole networking thing, don't look at me like I have 100 000 000 heads.

I know that in Win XP you can dial into the computer, if it is on a phone line. Then you can access whatever you need from the computer at the store....If you want a detailed explanation on how to do this with XP, just send me a pm and Ill write a tut for you....I did it for my home computer, so i could access certain files while i was away on vacation. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it is doable.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

i would suggest checking out pcAnywhere
    hope that helps ya out.
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian

Windows 2000 help explians how to do this fairly well. start-help-networking-make a dialup connection using a phone line.
    I dont read these.

pcAnywhere is by Symantec, the same fellows that give you Norton Everything, including crashguard that randomly crashed your computer every once in a while to see if it can do anything about it.

However, pcAnywhere is actually a pretty decent program. Essentially, it allows you to set it up on both ends and allow computer A (at home) to directly dial into Computer B (at work) and pop it open in a new window. anything that is done on Computer B can be seen on Computer A and vice versa. heck, you and your dad could have mouse wars to control the mouse if you are home and he is at work.

Another option is Back Office, lovingly referred to as Back Orifice. It wil allow him to administer windows.

I seem to recall another way to connect that was pretty simple, but i think that was software too. so my final answer is going to be get some kind of software. you'll have to configure the IP addresses, IPX, whatever you use... but i'm sure that will all be in a readme or instructions.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

I think Back Orifice and Back Office are different products, ones MS and ones Cult of the Dead Cow.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

visit your friend google here and do some reading.
    there are a lot of software packages that could help

Developer Extraordinar
    Somethings I should mention, my dad uses WIN2000 Pro, XP home and ME, and he uses the same dial-up account to dail-up different computer that he own to the internet.

Need help with Modem Driver

Sorry to be a pain but this will be a quick one.
    I just installed redhat 7.3 and i cant seem to get my modem working, anyone know if there is a working driver for this?

Lucent V.92 56k Internal PCI
    model on chip SV92P-T00

if any of you know where i may get a driver for this device i will be forever greatfull.

thanks again.

Developer Extraordinar
    I've had the same problem too, then it said it was a WinModem, and I had no Idead what it ment, so I just installed Windows. Because that what I thought the problem was... I like to know the answer too, and also the answer to my question...