Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumbassed Question about possible virus

Dumbassed Question about possible virus

I dunno if this is the right forum to post in, but I think I have a virus on my computer. What happens, is I log onto the net and as soon as I do I get a message saying Iexplor, this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. Then in the details it says this :IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
    module CSCORE.DLL at 0137:0119b8b3.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000001 CS=0137 EIP=0119b8b3 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00000000 SS=013f ESP=00588d44 EBP=00588f58
    ECX=00589178 DS=013f ESI=0061d020 FS=399f
    EDX=0000000a ES=013f EDI=00589168 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 06 89 07 ff 75 f4 ff 15 c0 92 1a 01 59 33 c0
    Stack dump:
    775c3a63 6f646e69 735c7377 65747379 6f435c6d 5c74656d 706d6554 4646465c 31374538 2e315f42 006d7468 00000002 0000002b 00588d60 bff9bb2c 00589178

If this is a virus, please tell me how to fix it, and if it's something else please tell me what it is and what to do.

Thankyou.

Sounds more like a conflict in IE, if you have just recently installed new software, uninstall it and try again....have you updated your windows at the windows update site lately? I suppose you have tried rebooting...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

you DO have updated virus protection, right!

although aeallison's suggestion is probably correct, i would run the system file checker before i went through all that.

from the run command:

for 9x and ME enter: sfc

in NT based systems: sfc /scannow
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I agree, aeallison. Probably some sort of registry or TCP/IP corruption. An easy way to tell is if you can run another browser without a problem. Check to see if you can run other network software, as well. For example, if you run a mail reader like Outlook Express, or if you can run telnet, you probably don't have a TCP/IP error, and it's likely that IE has a corrupted registry key. You could try to restore a previous copy of the registry if you backup registry images at regular intervals. If you don't have a current enough copy of the registry, try reinstalling or upgrading IE.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

I agree with roswell1329 and aeallison. What ever you last installed may be the problem, uninstall then try reinstalling it. I wouldin't be McAfee??? I have a grief with some updates to McAfee.
    RIP...[flip]Flip[/flip]

Cscore.dll is a Norton CleanSweep file. Adaware will detect it as a spyware proggie, but it is not.

may help you:
    http://www.symantec.com/region/sg/te...ssues.html#ncs

especially this, since IE is in the list:
    http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT...98120111525626
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Correct me if I am wrong Qwerty, if IE is accesing this Cleansweep DLL file, then that would mean that the registry has been corrupted, So my first post should not neccessarily contain "conflict" but more in depth would point to an application ( in this case Norton Cleansweep?? ) installation or execution, created the registry corruption or application conflict.
    I have had problems with McAfee products and Norton products not "liking" one another and they tend to get "pi**ed" when you put them together ( hmmm talking like they are sentient...lol) anyway....tired

Does this help or bring light to your day kellybelly182_1?

originally posted here
    There are certain .dll and other files that will be removed from other applications if CleanSweep uninstalls these types of programs. This is because the file extensions are linked to these secondary applications.

In addition, most of these programs integrate themselves very deeply into Windows. You risk corrupting the operating system if you uninstall them with CleanSweep.
    aeallison: you could be right that it lead to corruption. either to the registry or to a common dll file. Like symantec said, IE integrates intself very deeply. it could be something we are not even thinking of....
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

ME AGAIN

Okay, you may have gathered that I'm the newest of any newbie in terms of knowledge, so in the words of an aeroplane, 'zoom!" Most of that went straight over my head, but thank you all anyway. About the whole Norton hating MacAfee thing, the thing is we don't have any Norton program on our computer. I mean maybe we did at one stage but I did a search and it isn't there anymore. Maybe it's hiding?? I went to the internet explorer site and it said the newest internet explorer is version 6, and at the moment I have version 5. My computer has windows 95 (very, very backward, but hey, I'm 14, what can I do?) which is lower than the system requirement. What would happen if I downloaded IE6 with Windows 95? Anything drastic? Also, on the online help thing at windows, with the agreement thing, it says something like this:2) Microsoft to access your system remotely to analyze problems, sources of problems, and when appropriate, to fix problems, at your request and approval;

This doesn't sound very safe, I mean it's microsoft and all but what are your general thoughts?
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid but in the words of a great songwriter, 'just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching.'

Anyway, your continued thoughts would be much appreciated and I'll keep you all updated, thank you all so much for your help so far.

Kelly

Upgrade to IE 6 that will fix your problem...then download all updates at widows update site, ignore the messages. I really don't think a win 95 machine is at much of a risk to interesting to M$...stick around you'll learn