Thread: upgrades

upgrades

hello people just recently bought a refurbished p.c.its pentium2 processor i dont really know wat else is in it.as i am a real newbie 2 this i know this is an old processer though.and i waz wondering if any antionline user would b able 2 point me in the rite direction how 2 upgrade it so i can use it 2 its full potential i am willing 2 spend on new hardware and any help would b very helpfull.thanx in advance.p.s i know im a newbie but eveything will help as i want 2 learn.

hmm I think you will need to give us more information about ur puter, like do u have an operating system installed? if you have any windows u can try right click in the My computer icon and it will tell you how much RAM u have, how fast is your processor, also you can check device manager and see what kind of harware u have in your pc, and from there we can start!
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

need information to give any kind of direction on this... Processor speed. memory. HHD...etc...whitedragon is totally right
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    If you have windows on it do the following.

1) As white dragon said, get the memory currently installed and list that.

2)Goto Start -----> Accessories------> System tools and open System information

In this progarm click on the System Summary folder in the left window and list the following from the right.

Os Name:

System Manufacturer:

System Model:

Processor and speed:

Total Physical memory:

From there we can get a look at where your currently at and see where you can go.
    x

first. find out what motherboard you are using. once you know that, you can find out what you can do with it, upgradability and such... find the company name and any serial number, etc that you may find. look it up on www.motherboards.com or some other motherboard site. find all the specs that you can find. that will tell you bus speed (speed of your board and overall usually the "weakest link in your chain" when it comes to speed. find out bios version to know what you can ad to your board. just be careful. DONT TOUCH THE MOTHERBOARD unless you have a grounding strip. also, if the box is open, touch the box first before you touch any cards so that you kind of release the static electricity in your hands first. a little zap could ruin your entire motherboard. that would be my first step. then post more....
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

if you found out the motherboard, go to the manufacturers website and check out if there is a BIOS update available.
    there usualy is a lot of info on how to do the updat on their website.

BTW on info, I'd realy like to know what u'll be using it for..

I just recently turned an old p2(300) into a nice webserver.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

cheers people but sorry still dont know.all i know is its a pentium 2. 350mhz.128ram.6.4gighard drive.56k modem:52speed

then I guess the major guestion is what are you trying to do with the system.
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Old Fart
    go to www.belarc.com and download belarc advisor...all will be revealed...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...