Thread: helping prodikal

helping prodikal

hello people a question for prodikal hes just got red hat linux an a external modem 56k v.92ready.he got the modem activated and rebooted and it loads everything up 2 interface ppp0 and it stays at that promt.and it just sits idle if he goes into interactive setup he allows everything accept interactive ppp0 *he thinks its looking for his external modem but as i sai it just sits idle*he can get into his command prompt he can log in his route and local host prodikal.but he doesnt know the command to get up the GUI .if he unplugs the modem it still sits at the interface ppp0. is there anything he can do to start up linux in GUI. he says kudos to all who can help and he will really appreciate it. i am writing this because he cant get on the net and i live near him .P.S he still cant get into his BIOS he'll pm everyone who answers when he gets it set up and back on the net explaining everything incase yous think im trying to hack his computer.i say that cause i seen a thread that went suicidal asking how to hack.as i have knew him for years and he introduced me to this site.if you would like confirmation i will phone him and ask him to come round and post to this thread as i dont really know what he is talking about.as i am still trying to pick up windows.if you check my last posts you will be able to tell im a real newbie to computers.so there is no chance of me even attempting to hack.thanx to all but if im still not convinced i will get him round ASAP to post from his account from my computer.thanx again.

Dude.... take a breath. That wore me out.

rebooted and it loads everything up 2 interface ppp0 and it stays at that promt.and it just sits idle if he goes into interactive setup he allows everything accept interactive ppp0 *he thinks its looking for his external modem
    It's trying to establish a dialup PPP connection at boot? That's not right......

Since he can get to a command prompt, the command to start XFree86 is startx. He needs to look at his startup services and disable whatever is trying to dial out during boot. I'm not sure, but I believe the /usr/sbin/setup will do the trick in Red Hat..... it's been a long time since I've used RH. There is a GUI config tool in RH that will properly configure his dial-up connection if he can get to it.

He might also check to be sure that there is a symlink from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1 (if the modem is on com 2).
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

calm down tweaker lol.
    .::nataS is WaTchiNg::.