Thread: Windows-Linux

Ive listened to the Linux vs. MS Windows debates and seen efforts to make Linux look and feel more like Windows. I was just wondering if there are any attempts out there to make Windows more like Linux, like giving the user more control? Yes, I know about WINE and Lindows. Im talking about 100% MS compatible but more control for killing useless processes more stability etc. If not then why not?

If I understand you right its because windows isnt open source

I know of no efforts by Microsoft to make their platform appear and act more like Linux. I will say that the NT family of the Windows OS does have greater process control than the 95/98 line. That's not saying much though...
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Windows 2000 and XP are actually quite good, IMO.

If a genie came out of a bottle and granted me one thing in Windows to fix, it would be its multiuser capabilities - or lack thereof - in comparison with *nix. It's very difficult to secure a Windows box in a multiuser desktop environment because so many apps insist on having large areas of \windows\system32 and \program files world writable in order to function. The multiuser support in Windows has a very "tacked-on" feel to it, and I suppose it is a bit of an afterthought. Windows has a long and rich single-user heritage. I think a share of the blame goes to app writers who have their programs writing config files all over the hard drive, but Microsoft certainly hasn't done anything to discourage that practice. I imagine that to redesign Windows to be truly multiuser would break a lot of apps, but hey.... you gotta move forward sometime.

*nix, on the other hand, is very tidy: users write to their home directory, and everything else is read-only. Bang! Nice and neat.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

OK, so maybe it won't help much with security (better to throw out a bucket with 1000 holes then try to patch it) but certainly a help w/ functionality, -A DLL to implement some of the *NIX API and a bunch of tools for developement, and there are tools to allow you to build makefiled sourcecode(I think). Lotsa stuff has been ported over to win32, not too shabby for a beginner looking to get used to emacs and whatnot, or someone forced to use windows at work.

\"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion