Thread: Chinese email

Chinese email

Perhaps someone can help me. I have been getting email that consist of nothing but what appears to be Chinese or Japanese characters. What is this stuff? Is there any virus danger? Ususally there are no attachments to this mail. Thanks
    Murphy was an optimist ...

well if it has no attatchments there isn't that much danger of viruses... maybe it was just a case of a wrong email address?... have you tried emailing them back?
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

Have you been visiting any Asian web sites lately? Maybe it's spam from them. I doubt it's a virus if it's just a message. But if you are really worried, scan it

Just a thought.

Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and try to translate the e-mail, and see if it is Chinese or Japanese. I don't know if your browser will be able to copy/paste asian characters correctly, but it is worth a try.

Most Japanese Spam mail that I know of is targeted at Cell-Phone users. I have no clue about Chinese spam. Maybe it isn't spam, but some accidential e-mail. Let me know what it says if it isn't spamish, and I might be able to help you write a reply (if it is in Japanese). Or, you can do it yourself with the Website above...

-Tim_axe

Couple of questions for you...are you getting these emails all the time, sorta like 1-3 a day? Are you getting them form different email addresses but they all contain the same gibberish? You might want to check the headers of each email to see if its coming form the same email address. If it is..then the person who the emails are originating from might have a kletz virus and your just the lucky recipiant. Now nothing to fear, dont panic and instantly start reformating your hard drive or jerking the phone cord out of your modem. If it is kletz, the email in your inbox will be all different each time, but the header will show one person who is sending you the same email. I had this happen to me, it wasnt chinese or japanese, but emails that I would not usually get like 2kp@hotmail.com subject: Hey man, hows it going!.

So....what do you do if it is kletz.
    1. learn about it, here is f-secure's virus definition.
    http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/
    This thing rocks, tells you everything you want to know about a virus or worm. Just select K then go to kletz and read up.
    2. Download there zip file and run the exe program. Why learn about it first, then run the zip file? because your going to have to..or should...send an email to the person who keeps sending you all this crap and explain to them kindly how to clean there system.
    3. Dont bother runing your virus definition, kletz is deadly because not only does it send you junk email from the persons address book, but most av can catch it, you have to run fsecures zip file wich is nothing more than a little dos script to search for just the kletz infected files on your system. If you get a " no files infected" your fine.

I actually had this happen, for me it was full blank pages with nothing in them, was getting 2-3 a day, sent info to my wifes friend and within a few days, I stoped getting weird emails from her.

Again, it might not be anything...but the info is here just incase.

Couple of questions for you...are you getting these emails all the time, sorta like 1-3 a day? Are you getting them form different email addresses but they all contain the same gibberish? You might want to check the headers of each email to see if its coming form the same email address. If it is..then the person who the emails are originating from might have a kletz virus and your just the lucky recipiant. Now nothing to fear, dont panic and instantly start reformating your hard drive or jerking the phone cord out of your modem. If it is kletz, the email in your inbox will be all different each time, but the header will show one person who is sending you the same email. I had this happen to me, it wasnt chinese or japanese, but emails that I would not usually get like 2kp@hotmail.com subject: Hey man, hows it going!.

So....what do you do if it is kletz.
    1. learn about it, here is f-secure's virus definition.
    http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/
    This thing rocks, tells you everything you want to know about a virus or worm. Just select K then go to kletz and read up.
    2. Download there zip file and run the exe program. Why learn about it first, then run the zip file? because your going to have to..or should...send an email to the person who keeps sending you all this crap and explain to them kindly how to clean there system.
    3. Dont bother runing your virus definition, kletz is deadly because not only does it send you junk email from the persons address book, but most av can catch it, you have to run fsecures zip file wich is nothing more than a little dos script to search for just the kletz infected files on your system. If you get a " no files infected" your fine.

I actually had this happen, for me it was full blank pages with nothing in them, was getting 2-3 a day, sent info to my wifes friend and within a few days, I stoped getting weird emails from her.

Again, it might not be anything...but the info is here just incase
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

One of the well known traits of the Kleze virus is the fact that it spoofs email headers and while the header maypoint to one system it may not be the system it came from Adairs. On email systems that have virus protection it also presented a problem of sending people a false you are infected email back because of the false headers. Your information is part correct but the headers from the kleze virus are false and since there is not an attachment with the emails I doubt it is Kleze. Provide info you did but email headers are very easy to spoof an advantage Kleze took into account, and exploited.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Thanks for the clarification, will have to log that away for future reference. Appreciate the reply.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

How big are the messages if they are between +/- 143 kb and +/- 313 kb it could be the kleze especially if there are files in the c:\ that have dubble extentions like *.pdf.xls. And if there is a file in the windows\system called Wink* something it's a virus...And maybe it's some person that has the email address wrong...

Good luck!

XaMi©

Many thanks to all who posted to my question about "Chinese email". I get maybe one or two a week and I always delete them - usually from my Email Sneak Peak pprogram that only downloads headers. However I have also seen a few blank emails (nothing in "From" or "Subject" lines. All of you have given me much to read and consider. Thanks again.
    Murphy was an optimist ...