Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Display driver problems

WinXP Display driver problems

Hi there, I've got what seems to be a rather bizarre problem with my new laptop (an HP OmniBook xe4500- i think that's the right model no.)
    Anyway, it's running WinXP, not my choice- forced upon me by the HP guys, but the problem I am having is that when I'm in
    Outlook Express, and simply try to scroll down to view the rest of a message, the screen locks and then a few seconds later
    it bluescreens and restarts. Upon restart I get the "Do you want to tell MS of this error?" dialog, and what it says is happening is some
    kind of device driver problem with my Mobility M6 card.

This machine is only a month old and I cannot find any newer drivers for it than the
    ones I've got. Do you think this should be fixed in Service Pack 1? Or is it HP's fault?

Now i'm using Netscape for my mail....

Ring HP Tech support... and the monkey on the phone will probably advise you to..
    find a service pack/driver update at the hp support site..

soundsa like a BIOS setting or a Motherboard driver..

strange it only outlook express.. but thats M$..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

What does the bluescreen say? If it restarts before you can read it, disable auto restart by
    Control Panel > System > Advanced > Click on the settings for Startup and Recovery > uncheck "Automatically Restart". When it happens again, you'll be able to read it. Post the top couple of lines here, or do a search for it. Hope this helps a bit.

try getting norton crashguard, to find out what program is doing this, or gointo system information (forgive me im a win9x user) check for invalid registry entrys etc etc

Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

thanks for the advice guys- I shall try all of the above (and yes the BSOD was too fast for me!) as soon as I get my comp back (lent it to a friend you see).

I'm not familiar with the hp line, does that model use a nvidia graphics chip??

if so you'll probably find that the BSOD msg refers to a infinite loop error.

Had that problem with my desktop box with my gf4mx420 card, and i've also see it on my fathers dell inspiron 2650 laptop with a gf2 go graphics chip.

M$ claims that it's a known problem and that the latest video drivers will fix your problem. However i had to go way ahead of the current M$ supported drivers inorder to get rid of the problem.

Current M$ supported nvidia drivers are 29.42, and i am currently running 30.82. But since it'll probably be a "go"version of the chipset your driver selection is limited, but try getting the latest drivers from nvidia.com or m$ update.

hope this gives some insight to the problem

No the problem's definitely the ATI Radeon Mobility M6 video card, well the drivers for it anyway...

Have you installe the latest service packs for XP? There are new ones everyday. Also HP posts new drivers and patches now and then. Also check if there is a bios update for the video card.

It's a gas!
    Ring HP Tech support... and the monkey on the phone will probably advise you to..
    Geez, thanx alot, says alot for me then since im one of the monkeys at HP tech support!

Ta

r3b00+

r3b00+ If you are with HP Tech support why didn't you give an answer or support one given then rather than just list your offense at a statement made in another post? I would assume you have access to the latest information about his system so you are in a unique position to prove that you are not just a "monkey on the phone" by posting some solution suggestions.

Personally I have a hard time believing it is a driver issue if it only happens in one program. It seems like it should happen on any program that is scrolling or at least on different programs under the same or similar conditions. I would be more inclined to think it was an error in the software and attempt an unistall/reinstall of the program as a first step. BTW the Hex coding on the BSOD can render some excellent information if you can set the system up where you have time to write it down.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"