Dell unhooks Windows from desktops

Thread: Dell unhooks Windows from desktops

Dell unhooks Windows from desktops

This is yet another good sign that M$ is loosing ground, seems Dell, HP/Compaq will now sell a computer minus an OS.

"Dell Computer is making Windows optional for some of its business desktops.
    The PC maker next month will introduce n-Series corporate desktop and workstations that ship without Microsoft's Windows, or any other operating system, pre-installed.

The new desktops appear to be a slick interpretation of Microsoft's new licensing terms and a way to navigate customer demand for PCs without an OS installed. The Microsoft licensing terms, which were put in place on Aug. 1, specify that PC makers must ship PCs with an operating system. The new policy exists to prevent piracy and to better track OS shipments."

Read the entire story at http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949671.html?tag=fd_top
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Palemoon,

I work for a company that handles government contracts, and according to thier guidelines any system running on their program must be running Red Hat 7.2. I believe Dell is making these systems with optional OS so they can stay in the running when these companies are looking to upgrade their systems. You know our government, they are cheap. Why would they allow us to buy a dell w/ Windows in order to load Red Hat? I think this would be considered more of a marketing ploy for Dell than anything... Just my opinion....

I'd consider it something bad for microsoft so that's all that matters to me!

This is not any good sign. There are two things that will happen:
    - Microsoft will pull out this term
    - People will buy the Windows-loaded systems

This is nothing special, it does not symbolize anything. Until these people provide other professional operating systems preinstalled in their systems will there be a turning point to Microsoft.

Banned
    1) More freedom to enduser

2) Money Saving who cannot afford Windows & its updation

3) No Compulsion type.

4) This give Windows hint for tough future compition with linux

5) Better services

Well, it is a good thing that you are no longer *required* to buy a preinstalled OS. Don't really think it will make much of a difference to Dell though, other than that it will be cheaper for them to not have to waste time blasting out a copy of windows onto new orders and cheaper for companies who plan on using something other than M$. Choice is good!

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

What makes this different is that PC MFG's would not have crossed M$ a few years ago. But in a related thread I posted yesterday http://www.antionline.com/showthread...readid=233543. I can understand now what happened, M$ knowing what the Mfg people were going to announce are already putting backdoor pressure to assure M$ products remain the only choice.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Not too sure if anyone has mentioned this, or if you guys are just talking about workstations, but.....
    Dell does have the option of having Linux 7.2 and 7.3 (Redhat) preinstalled on their servers or no OS at all for that matter.
    Just thought I'd mention it.
    I wish they'd expand this practice to their desktops though...It'd be nice to not to be forced into purchasing an OS you might not want.

Oh I know the server area one has choices, but the systems that attach to them need a choice also. As stated I cannot count how many times I took a new system out of the box and wipe the HD clean to do a corp install, big waste of time even with good tools.

Upon further analysis of the subject of this post I say....oops! Keyword - Desktops. Hmmm.

Anyway, I'm with ya. Every new pc that comes into this office gets wiped clean right off the bat. Its as ridicualous as MS's new licensing agreement.