NTFS and Linux

Thread: NTFS and Linux

NTFS and Linux

Hi everyone, Now that my file system is ntfs as opposed to Fat32 am I out of luck with using Linux? I see that so many *nix distros are not jiving with ntfs. Is there anyway around this or am I just not finding the distros that are supported on ntfs. I searched the forums and I couldn't really find the answer I needed. Any help would be greatly accepted, Thank you.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

well it depends on ur distro but you can mount it if your kernel is new enough, try

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

Assuming your Windows partition is the first one on the drive. Just be sure that the mount point (/mnt/windows) exists. NTFS support must be enabled in the kernel, but I believe the stock Mandrake kernel already has it compiled as a module. NTFS access will be read-only, though.

Linux RH 7.2+ ( AFAIK) will see Windows Fat32 and NTFS partitions just fine. I've done it, and while it doesn't specify NTFS per se, VFAT is a catch-alll that provides DOS file support with long file names, and NTFS falls into that category. If you follow Unused's directions, you'll do just fine.
    If you've enabled, at any time, Dynamic Disk in Windows 2000, no other OS can reside on the system, even on another partition. I found that out the hard way! I just stick with Linux now. The only time I touch M$ products is at school. I mixed Win2k and Linux for a while, but for various reasons, I found Linux to be far more challenging than Win2k. You may be similarly addicted at some point.
    You have been warned !

You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin