Thread: Windows Messenger Removal

Post Windows Messenger Removal

Just a quick how-to for anyone wanting to remove Windows Messenger from WinXP Pro.

Because of it's integration into Outlook and my desire to run Trillian I found myself forced to remove WinMess.

And because it doesn't show up in add/remove progs or components I figured I'd document what I did in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Re: Windows Messenger Removal

Well I previewed and then posted without the attachment. Here it is.

The Iceman Cometh
    I use Trillian as well, and though I didn't have that big of a problem with Messenger still being on the system, I played around with Outlook Express for a while to check out some security bugs and found it somewhat annoying that Messenger kept popping up. To change that, however, I just changed the settings within OE to not log onto Messenger. Worked like a charm.

Oh, by the way, with SP1 for XP (which is still in Beta right now... should be released Aug. 28th), you can "remove" Messenger and change the default chat program to another program, such as Trillian. The only thing it really does, though, is change some of the attributes for the files within the Messenger folder, it doesn't really delete anything. If, for instance, you accidentally run msmsgs from the Run prompt or you accidentally click on the icon, it automatically reinstalls itself. Just thought you might be interested.

AJ

Originally posted here by avdven
    [B]I use Trillian as well, and though I didn't have that big of a problem with Messenger still being on the system, I played around with Outlook Express
    Your right about it being annoying! I tried the diable flag in Outlook (not OE) as well but it didn't seem to take even after restarting the program (as indicated by the confirm dialog) I have since rebooted and the check box is cleared now.

Oh, by the way, with SP1 for XP .... you can "remove" Messenger and change the default chat program to another....... you accidentally run msmsgs from the Run prompt or you accidentally click on the icon, it automatically reinstalls
    I don't like the 'automatically reinstalls itself' part. Kind of smacks of the old IE vs NS 'I'm gonna be your default broswer whether you like it or not' tactics of old. But maybe I am just paranoid in assuming that it will reset itself to be your default IM client when it auto reinstalls.

Glad they have a release date for SP1 although I haven't had many problems other than this annoyance. Thanks for the update.

I would never use trillian because of all the bugs and hazards. In that circle, I dun use XP either. Nice all the same!

Another way to get rid of Messenger is, as Administrator, just to go into the programs folder and just delete the folder for Messenger. This might leave some registry entries, but the program won't start back up. If anyone tries this, they should make sure they are Administrator, and make sure Messenger isn't running. Use Taskmanager to check this, and if it is running , kill it with end process or end application before you try to delete it.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)