Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crazy XP Sploit

ragmyn

Windows XP did the same to me when I installed a new GeForce 2 video card. I ended up going with a different card.

Cheers,
    m!thr!l

I have not tried this little test yet, but will it still happen if I have disabled the help and support service?

I disable more services in XP - seems to run better =)
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Very great post ! Tks for this one, now I'll wait before deploying XP in my network !

When I tried to disable the help and support and ran this using the above test example it just started the service again (maybe i screwed up, i dont know ) what my soluton was for this was to do a search for uplddrvinfo.htm and then open it. Say no to running the activeX and then view source. Then do a search for var oFSO = new ActiveXObject ( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" ); and it will bring you to the line that says:

var oFSO = new ActiveXObject ( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" );
    try
    {
    oFSO.DeleteFile( sFile );
    }

I Just removed : try
    {
    oFSO.DeleteFile( sFile );
    }
    and then saved it ( Dont close it yet just minimise) and then refreshed the page. When you do this if you get the script error icon at lower left hand just maximise the source again and remove the } or { ( i forget which one ) right below what you deleted and save and refresh again. The error should be gone and you will no longer be affected by this. I dont have the information in front of me but this is the steps that I did. If you want right when deleting that line go ahead and delete the other { or } that I said to do in the next step because I am almost positive it has to be delete or it will cause that script error. And as far as I can tell even if theere is the script error it does no harm. Help and support will now still work and if you have the direct link that you want it to open (IE hcp:// bla bla bla ) it will still work and if anyone tries this exploit against you the Hardware Config help message will still come up but you can close it without any worries ( if you want to verify this after you made the change to the script just come back to this post make the test.txt file on c drive and click the link and close the window. Go back to C and test.txt will still be there. Problem Solved!
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!