Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no d: drive?

TechieChick
    A 98 boot disk isn't going to work for 95.

Go to www.bootdisk.com and grab a disk for 95. Make certain you get the right one, either 95 a or b as one is not compatible with the other. The boot disks there have cd drivers on them.

The Iceman Cometh
    If the computer really is that old, I would suggest checking out the disks that came with the computer (both floppies and CD-ROM) to see what you can find. If it's a proprietary controller, you're going to have to open the case and figure out what sort of CD-ROM drive it is and what sort of controller you have and hope that someone online has drivers for it. Otherwise, you're going to have to find a CD-ROM drive that is compatible with the boot disk you have and use that instead. You didn't happen to make a backup of everything before you formatted, did you? If you do have a proprietary controller, the autoexec.bat and config.sys would tell you what file(s) you need for the CD-ROM to work...

AJ

I used to have a packard bell like yours. It is about impossible to get cd drivers for it, because the cd drive runs through the sound card. There is a special driver that you have to get for it. Let me check my disks....I think that I may still have it some where....If i find it, then ill zip it and upload it to you.....I ran into the same problem, because the mobo didn't support atapi drives and the only way to get the cdrom to work was through the special drivers that were on the packard bell boot disk......If i can't find it, google for the pacard bell boot disk and see if you can find it....if you can't your pretty much S.O.L....

edit: I could be wrong, but i think the cd drive is a mitsubishi-non atapi drive. I don't get home from work till late, so it will be about 8 hrs before i get it online for you. Also, is this an old 486 desktop computer? The one that I had was......LOL, i had win 98 and 32mb ram in the sucker.....I even had mandrake 7.2 on it, however, the video sucked...LOL...anyways, pm me if you have any specific questions......Ill look for the boot disks when i get home

EDIT: (AGAIN) lol....go here.... this program should get you up and running let me know if it works http://www.computers.pcc.edu/~troubl...plus/cdrom.htm This is cdrom god 5.0 i tried to upload the file, but the site said it was too big...grrrrrrrr
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

If the Win98 boot disk in the previous post doe not work for you I can upload a Win 95 boot disk with CFD driver for you.

Which version of Win 95 do you have?? (Original, Win95B, Win95B1, or Win 95C)
    RIP...[flip]Flip[/flip]

A 98 boot disk isn't going to work for 95.

Go to www.bootdisk.com and grab a disk for 95. Make certain you get the right one, either 95 a or b as one is not compatible with the other. The boot disks there have cd drivers on them.
    sorry TC.. but I have to disagree..

First, as mentioned on the previous page, that url now points to an underwear site.. lol
    Second, a win98 boot disk would work for most cases, as it's only to load the cdrom driver to access the cdrom, but not in this case as this cdrom goes thru the sound card.

Regardless, i think there is enough info here now thanks to all you folks for blindkornkid8
    to get it working..

TechieChick
    Most times you won't have issues but 95a vs 95b you will. My mistake.

bootdisk.com works great for me, no undies here.

OMG.. TechieChick.. thanks for checking that bootdisk.com again.

now it looks as if the problem is at my end.. but for the life of me, I don't know what
    it is.. I tried it with IE,opera,smartalec voyager and offbyone browsers and I get a
    Onewear, Inc site..
    but i just went over to one of my other boxes and I get the bootdisk site correctly..

oh boy.. what the, who the, why the ?