Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fecked up monitor...?

once again you're right, aeallison.. and ,my bad, bi-polars can be a problem too.
    I never saw many problems with tantalum caps.. but that may just have been
    my luck of the draw.

cwk9.. none of the stored capacitive charges can kill you..

I've been zapped by the charge of the storage off the crt (yes, it acts as a cap)
    and the worst damage is caused by when your elbow hits something as a reaction
    to getting hit... 18-30kv.. but it don't have any sustained current flow.

as a precaution.. stick a long screwdriver under the hi-voltage lead cap to the crt
    and discharge to chasis.

http://www.pccomputernotes.com/esd/esd.htm

WARNING:
    There are capacitors inside a computer's monitor and power supply that store enough electricity to stop your heart, even when they are unplugged. You should not be grounded if you are working inside a monitor or a power supply.
    But then, you shouldn't even open a monitor or a power supply unless you know what you're doing.
    I bet the chances are low but better safe than dead.

question... Do you run Quake 2 or 3?

question... Do you run Quake 2 or 3? When I first got Quake 3 I would get a problem similar to what you discribed when i would shut the game down incorrectly, something about the opengl drivers, could go on for weeks even if i restarted... it fixxed itself when i started quake3 and shut it down correctly... stopped hapenning all together when i installed wicked gl... probably just talkin out of my arse, but its something to think about...

cwk9
    the capacitors can still have enough stored voltage to kill you even after its been unplugged for several hours.
    actually, capacitors in a monitor coupled with the Cathode Ray Tube itself carry an electrolytic discharge with enough voltage to kill you (over 120,000 volts if i remember correctly) for more than 20 years after a monitor is unplugged... all this according to my Net Tech teacher Mr. King. Either way, you should definitely know what you're doing before even thinking about opening up a monitor, plugged in or not, it is still the most potentially dangerous peice of equipment you'll work with in this field.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

over 120,000 volts if i remember correctly) for more than 20 years after a monitor is unplugged...
    haven't found a voltage that high in a monitor YET..

Have found 36KV off a CRT..

The main DC filter Cap (In AUS) can store 400V +.. IF it is Opencircuited from the rest of the PSU.. This will stop yer heart.. Throw you across the room, turn off the eyes for a few minutes (that is if you were lucky like me.. and someone was able to get the the tick back in ticker)..

The volts Jolt.. its the Amps that plant..

Now to Acids Problem..

Please do the inspections with the Power OFF and disconnected from the Monitor..Please..

All of the sujestions are worth a try. I would also be checking around the Hi-Voltage unit (EHT) This device will have a couple of cables running up to the Tube, one to a Big Cup on the tube itself, the other to the circuit board at the back of the CRT.. Certainly check the Caps for signs of "distress" but check the underside for irregular solder on the Pins..

These symptoms could describe another 15 or so causes..

see how ya go..

Oh and why is the Screen shot a bit fuzzy?
    It is a compressed image.. the resolution will not be a hi as the original screen resolution..
    detail is lost in the compression.. ..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Sup i know what the problem well i think it i do. When i was playing around with windowx xp in the display properties. If you left click on your desktop the display properties will come up. Go to the appereance tab and click on effects make sure that the method of smooth edges of screen fonts is Standard NOT clear type. Hopefully i helped :^)

The Iceman Cometh
    xtcy: Just for your information, the clear type font smoothing only affects the fonts, causing them to appear fuzzy if your display does not support ClearType. It shouldn't affect the colors as Ac1d is describing. (btw: Also, you have to right click on the desktop, not left click to get to the display properties).

AJ

/me wonders why ac1dsp3ctrum hasn't come back here to comment further, when I see he's online right now.

over 120,000 volts if i remember correctly) for more than 20 years after a monitor is unplugged...
    I'm sure that neither of those are true. And I'll say.. it might cause a "ticker" to stop,
    if you were standing in a pool of water. I've been hit by it.. and all I got was a sore elbow.

and as long as I'm straying OT.. there was an old time electrician I knew that would wet
    two fingers, and put them across 240vac or 480vac and would live to tell you what voltage
    it was.. as long as the path to doesn't pass thru your "ticker" you're ok.

Und3rtak3r is right, where i read it actually said 12,000 v, not 120,000... my bad..

PS. The GL problem with Quake 3 is a definite possibility, i checked it on my Brother-in-law's system, who also has a Savage videocard, (like spectrum's) on an XP system. alt/tabbing out of quake 3 and ending the process thu task manager caused the colors on his system to seem brighter and grainier, both of which looked normal when a screenshot was viewed from my system, changing the display settings did nothing, nor did restarting. It was fixed when i started up quake3 again and shut it down thru the game's gui. It is not necessarily quake3, could be any game using the same or similar engine. he says the screen first showed these symptoms when he came back from getting a snack, did he perhaps get this snack afterplaying a game? if so, i would suggest starting up that game and shutting it down normally. if not, forget it, i dont know what I'm talking about.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Banned
    Ok guys, no need to poist anymore... I just bought a new monitor