Thread: Record companies take on the world

Arrow Record companies take on the world

Seems like the music industry is trying to take on the world these days. It all so brings up a intersting point that they can't sue you if they can't find you.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...copyright_dc_4

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The world's largest record companies sued major Internet service and network providers on Friday, alleging their routing systems allow users to access the China-based Listen4ever.com Web site and unlawfully copy musical recordings.

The copyright infringement suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks a court order requiring the defendants to block Internet communications that travel through their systems to and from the Listen4ever site. The suit says the plaintiffs have not been able to determine who owns the Web site.

Plaintiffs in the suit include such major labels as UMG Recordings, a unit of Vivendi Universal, Sony Music Entertainment, a unit of Sony Corp ( news - web sites) .; The RCA Records Label, a unit of Bertelsmann AG ( news - web sites)'s BMG; and Warner Brothers Records, a unit of AOL Time Warner .

Defendants in the suit are AT&T Broadband Corp., a unit of AT&T ; Cable & Wireless USA, a unit of Cable & Wireless, Sprint Corp ., Advanced Network Services and UUNET Technologies, a unit of WorldCom .

Old Fart
    I can already see the next suit..."RIAA files suit against God for giving man the intelligence to invent P2P"
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

heh....

Kind of like suing the telephone company for an unidentified source calling your house to harass you... Or suing the post office for allowing your neighbor to mail in a complaint about you... Or suing the Department of Transportation for allowing your ex-girlfrind to drive to your house and throw a brick in your window... Or suing your ISP for letting someone break into your computer... Or...

Maybe .gov should just do everyone a favor (including the artists) and just dismantle the label companies all together... But alas... In a fair world, Microsoft might actually be in trouble...

That, says I!

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.

where's The House Un-American Activities Committee when you really need them.

Just kidding about that, but we really do need to make a blacklist of the companies involved in this and tell everyone what their doing. If you ask a RT person if they know whats going on, they don't.

Come-on people, how hard is it? Stop supporting those who would take the Internet away from us, not to mention our freedoms and privacy. Tell your friends and have them tell their friends.

Don’t buy anything from these recording companies:

UMG Recordings

Vivendi Universal

Sony Music Entertainment

RCA Records

Bertelsmann AG

BMG

Warner Brothers Records

Do what you can, not to support the parent companies:

Sony Corp

AOL Time Warner

Artists whose work has been listed as being unlawfully copied in the Federal court by these Companies. I know it’s not their fault, but nothing you could do will hurt them financially. If you normally would buy their music, write them, tell them how much you’re going to miss their work but as long as they’re making money for these organizations, you can't in good conscience support them.

Christina Aguilera
    Bruce Springsteen
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eric Clapton
    Barbara Streisand
    Lenny Kravitz
    Whitney Houston.

The only thing these Corporations know are profits. It really won’t take that much to get you point across.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm with Ted on this matter the fact is if you do not buy their recordings then they will not have money to fight issues such as this. Matter of fact I still believe their music industry is where it is at because they went to marketing music not scouting the music scene for true artists and letting thir art sell it's self, prime example is American Idle perfect example of not true artists but marketing and LOL seems the war dilaers now have hit them. Hummm wonder what 800 numbers these companys have and what their capacity is. Just a research questions I am asking myself
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg