Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

Banned

The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

Greetings All:

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the current state of AntiOnline. Particularly, I am interested in the answers to the following questions:

1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?
    2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?
    3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?
    4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?
    5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?
    6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?
    7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?
    8. How would you rate the speed and availability of the AntiOnline website?
    9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?
    10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?
    11. Free for all. Any other comments that you might have......

I'm looking for good, honest, group discussion about these points. It is the members that shape this community, so here's your chance to be heard.

1. Perhaps a valued members forum. This would not just be limited to forum regulars but also count with the IRC chatters amongst us who sometimes post occasionly (When in the mood !)
    2. The members spotlight. By changing it more often say every couple of weeks or so. Also Id like to see a properly laid out newsletter archive.
    3. Some negative bits but overall still good.
    4. Seems OK needs a dtricter banning regime though (example vicTT getting like 5 accounts every time once was banned hed use another.
    5. I read posts when im at a short end. Im not a always here regular but i always return.
    6. every now and then. Less college work less home stress all may increase my post count :P
    7. Id loose it. Too many ppl where being banned because of one post or the thread dying cause of one stupid post.
    8. Speed seems good when i visit although every now and then it slows down to a crawl.
    9. Bandwith, Marketing campaign, not much realkly (Id spend it on myself or the AO offices if i worked there !)
    10. I think overall you work too much on new features and sometimes hang back on moderatoing etc. But we all know you cant do everything !

Banned
    1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?

i speak for everyone when i say more pr0n their seems to be a lack of it hehe but seriously atm all i can see this site is a pretty front page for some forums... no downloads and the txt files are less than uptodate

2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?

exluding antipoints the forums are fine i mean apart from the odd bug that pops up its fine mabey more rewards for higher antipoints earners/posters something to keep the more and more of the senior members slowing down their posting and the newer ones something to aim for other than the addicts forum and a spanky title

4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?

its pretty good because no one posts nething thats remotly flamable cause of ph33r of the a word then when someone gets flamed it hurts everyones feelings and all parties involved get the a word keeps the flaming down also keeps the controversial posts down and we all like cotraversy

5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?

i read it a few times a day and usually the post title and see the utter crap im used to and leave ie the humor forum seems to have way to many posts in it the next question is where it lies the second part of that question is self explanatory

6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?

i post about once or twice a week i have things to say but i usually get told of for my grammer/spelling or get neged to death cause its contraversion it seems to me that we live in a comuniest society where free thought is not welcomed other than in the cosmos forum thanks negative!

7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?

i hate it i think it should be gone it creates jealousy restricts thought etc how many times have people wanted to post but stoped because of fear of antipoints? now with this new auto banning/balance feature its even worse how many people have got negs sayin just balancing? etc etc people dont want to post cause they could be banned i think that has lost you a lot of members jp
    the suicidal thread function need re doing cause to many good post die cause of 1 stupid person posting ****

good its down a bit for no forseable reason but other than that its fine speed wise it can get a bit slow but even on dial up its bearable

9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

help get the wargames up and running we have all waited all gloated about the invites but nuthing happened it would bring in lots of users if we had active war games king of the hill etc fun fun and more fun = more more and more users

10. What is your current opinion in the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?

here comes the fun part you can be a bit of a dick sometimes on irc not approchable half the time abusive in a funny way its ok little bit favourtism twords "gay" people take the whole gamemaster instance hehe and you dont take an active role in the comunity you sit up their and talk only to the "elite" members people like it when the high and mighty leader talks in their forums irc you occasilnaly talk but to me usually abusive ie telling me that i was a mistake etc etc just be nice to see your opinions in the forums and not the usual 1 liners we see with the standerd yours in cyberspace bout it im sure ill think of more
    those views are held by me if you dont like it deal with it dont antipoint me pm me like a man with a name gawd damn it

11. irc the split was a bad idea the stats are a bad idea and the ops that are only active in us timezones hehe its annoying sitting their watching people flood argue over multicell organisms or ask how to hack hotmale and not have neone to do nething about it

stats on the site are also a bad idea creats to much compatition etc just general bullshit

my ideas
    my views

rioter

p.s i missed 3 the mood well seems to me that people are annoyed by the lack of intelegent conversasion to many newb question antiopoint gripes etc etc correct me if im wrong but alot of the senior members are leaving annoyed slowing their posts cause of the lack of info lack of quailty post alot of people seem to be taking quantity over quailty as their posting methods the "good post" "lol" post are popular and its annoying seeing people trying to get stats by doing that
    i could go on all day
    so i should stop

Me... hmmmm....

1. I'd like to see some ratios on the view/like/dislike of a fourm. Just seeing "somewhat positive" doesn't cut it, for me. It seems that there are some negative discussions that end up showing as "somewhat positive" or what not... Something like "15% readers dislike, 5% like, and the rest don't mind"... It would need to know how many views the thread had, and how many people assigned points, and which way. Then, you can have some custom message like "divided", or "quite positive", or anything else.

2. Maybe my answer to #1 can be used here. Thinking of that... <copy> I'd like to see some ratios on the view/like/dislike of a fourm. Just seeing "somewhat positive" doesn't cut it, for me. It seems that there are some negative discussions that end up showing as "somewhat positive" or what not... Something like "15% readers dislike, 5% like, and the rest don't mind"... It would need to know how many views the thread had, and how many people assigned points, and which way. Then, you can have some custom message like "divided", or "quite positive", or anything else. </copy>

3. The mood seemed like a rainy day. People were popping up with stuff like humor, but most people don't seem to be taking it all too well... I haven't really read anything in a while, so it may have changed. It seems that the industry is moving around again, so activity is on the rise again. Some opinions are being asked for, but most of the stuff seems to be things to know, and there really isn't too much to discuss upon it... At least that's how it seemed to me when I visited and read stuff last time...

4. It could be improved with something like my suggestion for #1 and #2. At least we wouldn't view it, because we'd know what others thought of it...

5. I don't read them very often any more. I just look at the titles, and the "somewhat ..." stuff on it.

6. I don't post very often any more. I have nothing to add, and most of the stuff seems to be "interesting stuff to read", but not really too much room to comment...

7. I am content with it. It works fine enough for me, and works fast. About 10 seconds after some very negative post is posted, it seems to be gone. Either that, or my internet connection isn't fast enough to update that quickly...

8. AntiOnline loads in the same amount of time for me as any normal website, at least on my computer. For my cell-phone, that is a different story. There is too much data to view on a small screen. Maybe an option can be set to minimize the data sent to the visitor...

9. I don't know how to spend the money, so don't ask me...

10. You're doing fine. Improvements on the site started back up again, and things seemed to take a positive leap after your new features. Maybe start up the weekly mail bag up again (I don't remember seeing it in a while).

11. #1 and #2 are the same. I don't know why I did that, but I didn't want to redo #1... Maybe I should read through all of the questions first... At least this isn't that trick test where the last one says to not do anything...

-Tim_axe

answer i would like to see
    1.A news forum that wont appear on the main page *general chit chat is like a mirror for the register and slashdot*
    2.all the current features are good i cant think of any improvements
    3.the mood in the forums are good *exept the drive by .A.P*
    4.flames and spam are really minimal unless some 1 is asking how to hack hotmail use sub 7 etc or trying to advertise websites *which is not very often*
    5.i read mostly all posts in the forums everyday
    6 i only post if i feel as if i can help or i would like to perticipate in a discussion in the forums
    7. the only thing with the A.P system is the balance is key messege ppl feel as if they have to get balanced and give negs for invalid reasons
    8.i think the speed and availbilty is fine
    9.if i had $10.000 *need to get back to u on this 1 im drawing a blank*
    10.i think u run the site the ok *but would u really run it diffrently on ppl`s comments*

well hope i have been of some help
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I do have a suggestion JP....why not edit the metatags and keywords and exclude any reference about "hacking" and such.This does cause a bit of concern to any Network Admin when he checks his web access logs(at least it did mine) Also it would make the site (and the chatroom for that matter) less likely to come up on some script kiddies google search.

Re: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

Originally posted here by JP
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss the current state of AntiOnline. Particularly, I am interested in the answers to the following questions:
    1. AntiOnline Security Seminars (online) / Weekly radio show covering topics of security better than (Hackermind.net & 2600.com's off the hook)

2. The forum topics, I would suggest spreading them out such as "Hackers.com's BBS Forum"

3. I believe it has been improving very slowly.

4. see #3

5. Daily, more educational material that I may need on a daily basis.

6. 4 - 5 times a week, topics more related to my experience and background.

7. Wouldn't touch w/ a ten foot poll.

8. Off-Peak times are great, but alot of hangs during peak times.

9. Web Seminars, Security Videos, AntiOnline Magazine,

10. see #7

See past site suggestions i have made that were never answered

See past site suggestions i have made that were never answered

3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?
    The mood is becomeing very crappy recently and the only threads around are ones bitching about the threads and mood around

Flames are at a all time low recently, spam seems to be nothing we cant handle

I read daily or bi daily, I would like to see more info on the war games and think that might add a bit of excitement to the forums

Read above

Read my last few site suggestions

Its at a all time high and i see no room for improvement

id give everyone on the top 10 antipoint list 1 $ via paypal and send the rest to NetSyN

10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?
    My true opinion is you are human and like all humans u make mistakes

Antionline is the only community id like to call home.

-NetSyN

i also suggest sumthing OTHER then war games :P

maybe a little multiplayer game we can all share in that is away from the whole "war" "evil" "hacker" spot light

but i also agree WE NEED TO CHANGE THE SPOT LIGHT!!!

we all love mittens, but seeing here everyday in the same spot losses the spotlight of it! :P

i feel like a suggestion whore...

but how about a BEAT DOWN button for a thread or a SICK OF SEEING

im honestly sick of seeing Rouges suicide post and wish there was a way if enough votes are casted the thread will no longer show up on the front page... i mean enough is enough

oh crap another suggestion!!!!

lmfao gettin sick of me yet?

how about making it so CLOSED threads cant be bumped up?

or ROLL CALL threads.. i mean theres no reason to bump them...
    crap how bout just deleted ROLL CALL all together..

u only see people getting negged for them anyway!

i say down with roll call!!!!
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    1> I would like to see a forum that didn't have antipoints or increace your post count. Make it a "private" forum with a moderator. If someone gets out of line, the moderator can ban that person from that particular forum, but not the rest of the site. It could be a good way to just blow off steam or post bs, without having to worry about get negative points.
    2> At the moment, none.
    3> The current mood is that people have to stop whining. People complain before the take the time to see how something is going to work, and they need to try it out before they bitch about it. I don't know how you improve on that mood.
    4> Thats doing good, or at least as good as can be expected for a site like this.
    5> Everyday, all day. Do I really have to read more? Just not on weekends.
    6> Humm, what am I at now...1894 posts. What do I have to do to please you Never mind...
    7> I like the current antipoint system, I just think people need to learn how to use it. The only thing I would possible like to see is a way to vary how much you give a person. Either a percentage (ie. Assign 64% of maximum antipoints), or atleast another option saying return to middle... The percentage would be good, because there are a lot of times I don't think a post is worth 45 to 55 antipoints, but I don't have a way to control how many I give out. The reurn to middle would be good when you see posts that have obviously been givin points for a BS reason.
    8> Most of the time it is good, but on a 56K connection, it can lag. And when the site does go down (like you decide to move the dmark or something) there is no warning.
    9> ummmm, good question. Since I don't know the current setup, I can't say much. Maybe set up a dedicated machine for members email (as an antipoint bonu) or something?
    10> Not to bad. I would like to see your participation a little more though. In IRC, you might say 3 lines, then lurk again. Mostly, on here though, when a site suggestion or a bug shows up, even if you don't have the time to fix it, just a quick post saying, you are considering it, or looking into it would be nice, so we might not get 5 threads all on the same thing.
    11> Antipoint benefits and Lunchboxes I remember you asking about what possible benefits could you make. You have been implementing some cool stuff, but you don't put any limits on it, which might make it worth while. Other posibilites...email...(ie, 500 points gets you a redirection, 1000 points gets you webmail, 1500 points gets you pop3 mail, etc.) OR change your space limit by points (500 points = 5 meg, 1000 = 10 meg, or something) Also, maybe webspace or shell accounts would be cool also (it would give you someplace to spend your 10 grand ;P ) and change access rights/amount of space bassed on points...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

GreekGoddess

Portal project...all the way....

I've watched this site evolve over time and it just keeps getting better. I don't think I would change anything.

The mood in the forums is all about whining nowadays. People seem unhappy with the AP system and the idea of their 'freedom of speech' being breeched and so forth. Older members don't post as often due to people balancing their antipoints and the general negativity that seems to be lurking over everyone's heads. People need to realize that this is a community, maybe through an explained post by you, that they need to stop complaining and move towards making the community better through their actions. Such as moderators taking more of an initiative towards posters and more actively getting involved in threads and keeping the mood where it should be, and people need to look out for one another as far as unfair balancing goes, bring people back to center on their posts.

I think the flaming is at a low right now...and spam, well we need SOMETHING to balance our points on...

I read them all of the time, whenever I get a chance. I try try and read everything, not just topic based information.

Average of one per day now, unless I have a lot of time and sit down to really go through the forums. I post based on topic, the more interesting the topic makes me want to post, or if I have an opinion on something, or answering a question.

Just what I said before, people need to look out for eachother and take an active role in the community. I try to look out for as many people as I can, and that leaves me unbalanced most of the time, so I'm in favor of ideas that you can decide on how many points to give out, because sometimes I just want to even a person out, not put them completely into the positive, because that's just working towards someone I have to give a red to, and I really hate that, although in some cases it's necessary. Hmmm, maybe you could make that Mr. Miyagi message a little smaller? Less obtrusive on the main page? *LOL*

On 56k, the only thing that loads slow is if I click to the full options reply, other than that it's very fast for me. AO's been down a few times since I've been here, but it's always right back up again.

Put it in savings, JP.

I'd really like to see you become more active in the forums and on IRC. You usually only post short replies and it would be cool for you to take a more active approach yourself. I realize you're probably really busy, but 'you're the man' here.

You're really doing a great job...I really can't complain about anything, this site keeps getting better and better the longer I'm here.