Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

I'm not sure about everything yet, but I will say...

Can you bring back the news feed?

I think it would help on the news facet of the site. I feel that it doesn't make much sense to try to shore up the weaknesses of the site (not many formal reviews, previews, guides, and authoritative information)... However, it would make sense to try to take the strong part of the site, the forums, and branch out from there, into news discussion (a dedicated newsfeed like there used to be would help), and after that... well... what else would help?

I just had an idea about helping people out, but it's probably pretty stupid given the inevitable how-to-hack-my-hotmail requests and such.

What about a member-finder?? You could put your location into an AO database (not the same as profile, something private) and then other members could search for people in their general location. When they get a list of people (not their real forums names or real life names, just a placeholde), their approximate distances, and interest-lists, they could then PM the users. It would be up to the user to reply back, disclosing who they were. That way you could find local AOers more easily, as well as developing a potential WAUG. I just coined that. Wide Area User Group. Pronounced 'Wog'.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?

Just fine the way it is, features are not what keeps my attention, the users do.

2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?

Not a thing JP.

3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?

Too many people whining about people whining.
    Immature members with lots of AP clout abusing their senority.
    Not enough members willing to help out the newbies who generally have NO idea how AO works.

4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?

Been doing real good as of late.

5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?

Daily...

6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?

When I have something I want to share or get an opinion on, or if it involves an issue I can add to or be helpful with.
    I would post more often if there was a forum for technical/hardware/configuration issues not dedicated solely to security.

7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?

I like it just the way it is, it has been working as far as I see, I agree with GG about the Miyagi message, please make it a bit smaller...

8. How would you rate the speed and availability of the AntiOnline website?

It seems to be doing the trick.

9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

Hmmm, this is a hard one. How about using it for site rewards and incentives, prizes for contest winners, etc...

10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?

Be more visible.
    Answer the emails directed towards site issues and membership.
    Answer the threads in site suggestions, and be just a wee bit more tactful at your answers.
    Just MHO...

11. Free for all. Any other comments that you might have......

All together JP, w0000000000t!!!
    Keep up the very good work you are doing and Thank You for all your hard work, tis a fine board.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

1. Hrm...I'm not one to give suggestions for pointless/useless/un-needed features. I'm a person who works with what he has, and if I can do it in a manor of proper time and maintain my sanity - I'm a happy man. I opt for no new features (unless somebody really has something good to add), for I'm sure 75% of the AntiPoint population are not aware of half the features of this site, or couldn't give a rat's ass or second thought about using it for what it was mainly intended for.
    Ah...an idea. Maybe during the initial email to the registered user, you could have a second email listing all the features of the site, and the potential/excitment you may get from using them...just an idea though.

2. Hrm...I'm on the verge of asking you personally to change how the "suicide threads" act. I don't think AntiPoints should be acknoledged for anything other than the User Benifits and AntiOnline Addicts. I believe good, trustworthy, and willing moderators should be chesen to sift through the pages... but you see this would take a vast amount of time, and the work might even have to be divided. So I'm not sure what your going to do there. It's just that ...it's a shame a whole thread must close do to one stupid remark which brought a huge amount of negative AntiPoints...eventually killing a good thread.

3. The current mood, imo, is farked. It could be improved, maybe...if you, JP, would contribute to the threads a bit more, besides for merely replying in SiteSuggestions. Maybe if you, yes you, JP, found something interesting on BugTraq, or SecurityFocus, etc. etc., you could start a new thread and actually give your opinion to the matter or issue. Now, if your a busy man (and it looks like you are), this may be a problem... but it's only a Father's job to do an extra special thing like this ...giving gifts (features) doens't solve every problem you know.

4. Could care less. They happen to the best of the sites,... leave 'em alone. Try not to push too many people's (lamers) buttons and we're all fine. But I must say, AO has done an EXCELLENT job at flames, and the likewise.

5. Honestly, about two months ago, I'd read 90% of the posts that came to the main page, and then I'd even search though the forums to see if I've missed anything particularly interesting that didn't make it's way to "The Billboard Chart" (mainpage). But recently, I've only been reading posts with a good topic name; because honestly, I could care less right now. With all the whining going on around lately...bah. I'm not sure whats to be done with this problem...maybe if the mood changed to an upward slant?...*ponders*...

6. Recently, I've been posting less. And I only post when my view hasn't already been expressed through another members post...thats what the [positive]AntiPoints are for people... But if my view hasn't been explained to fullest detail, I will post. And...I try to post only to rather "non-lame" threads (ie. Cosmos, anything computer wise where the rest of the crowd who posted aren't saying stupid, smart alic responses)...

7. It's great, it's perfect, I love it. Screw anybody who doesn't... it's just another feature you'll have to live with. Sorta like taking a ****... Hell, I don't like doing it,...who does (besides those kinky sons-of-bitches)? ...just something that you've gotta deal with people...Jesus - stop complaining.

8. Quite above average at times... it's IRC that seems to have the most troubles :P. But overall, it's doing fine.

9. I'd try to buy a social life first...

10. I would stop ****ing around with features and actually help with the conversation in these threads. When you talk on IRC, ...things seem, oh I dunno, alot "better" (can't find proper word) for some reason.

11. AntiOnline - my second residence...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?

Well, A system that kill's off old thread's, but with a back door, like, at least three people need to vote it "Alive", this way, we wouldn't get Thread's haunting the forum coz some one want's them too....

2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?

The Thread balance, I don't feel that "Some what Posetive/Negative" is good enough to cover the thread's content, a ratio or a percentage etc.

3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?

I think the mood of the Forum is getting more and more tense, as if people are being goverend by the AP system and/or the way some of the higher ranking User's will kill off any one who has a view other than their's.

4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?

Since the "Hang-Man" Post's came along it's gotten better, but then again, it's been killing thread's that where quite good, maby a Re-animation button to make a Zombie thread
    (A Thread that will only live a short time if no one post's)

5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?

Every Now and again.
    Beside's A better connection......A personal filter, one where I could stop some thread's showing up on the Front page, like *NIX thread's for exammple, I don't know *NIX thus I don't really care.

6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?

Not often.
    Um, I don't really know, a Skin-system maby, I for one am getting a bit tired of the LA Laker's colour's.

7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?

A sliding bar, one where you could give people a only some or all AO point's, as it is, all you can do is give them is All or Nothing.

Fast enough, and up virtualy all the time

9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

More storage, that way you could exspand on what information is recorded. Maby some advertising, I think we need new blood.

10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?

You'r not here that often, so you don't get to see all that much of the forum, I feel you should become more involved in the smaller topic's of the people. But besides that you'r doing a great job.

I feel lika a suggestion Whore......so I'øø shut up now.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

More tutorials...

Ack! More tutorials!

Generally, the moods seems stable. The additude "leveler" in most cases seem to come from the points system, so I thought I would throw that in there. We keep each other on our best behavior (hey!), so that's cool.

See #3... Oh the other hand... Some of us like to flame people who ask blatently stupid questions... Then, some of us enjoy reading the flames... Sometimes, it's just a spice of life.

I'll read any post/thread that has a subject line pertaining to something that I would be interested in. The posts are usually true to their subject. It's the subjects like "help me!", "newbie here", or "dumb question," that I usually skip over. Too vague, man! The people on the "o-god" levels should be able to either delete threads with unrelating subjects or at least be able to change the subject string to something pertaining to the.... um... subject? Yeah... Besides... That would make searching forums a much less tedious process.

I'm still new here, so I only have 66 posts... I'm answering this so as not to acquire any bad luck... (6 is unlucky, 66 is 10 degrees worse, and 666 is like driving a truckload of mirrors off a cliff or something to that illness. sSs).... So now, I'm 67 posts!

I'm still relatively new here, and I don't know all the ins and outs, so I'll suffice to say that it's purpose was of good intent, and it seems to be working effectively (take a look around... This is probably the cleanest forum that I've munched through to date!)

Sometime it go, sometime it slow... As long as it loads, I really don't care. I can download something in the meantime... (remember the commercial with the kid asking "Is it loaded yet?") Seriously, though... I'm no speed deamon. Slow is cool as long at it keeps coming...

Maybe if you paid the new members to read the FAQs, they'd quit asking how to break stuff! LoL Well.... If speed is a real concern, then mayhaps the hardware/connection needs a look-over. Or a mirror site, perhaps? Shoot... Take the money and run, man!

Being that I am still relatively new here, I can't say that I've acquired much of that "insight." I will say that questionaires such as these show that you care (which is certainly appreciated by most if not all). Furthermore, AO itself shows the great deal of detail that was put into writing it. That certainly has to be appreciated. I'm in favor.

What the heck is "woot?" Sounds like a foreign login for a sysadmin...

I'm looking for good, honest, group discussion about these points. It is the members that shape this community, so here's your chance to be heard.

And that's what makes AO great. thx!
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.

Re: Re: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File
    2. The forum topics, I would suggest spreading them out such as "Hackers.com's BBS Forum"
    - http://www.hackers.com/bulletin/

AntiOnline Site Related

*How Do I / What Is.
    *Roll Call
    *Site Suggestions
    *Oops! A Bug!

AntiOnline "Special Feature" Discussions

*New Features
    *AntiOnline Newsletter
    *AntiOnline's Project Wargame

General Discussion Forums

*AntiOnline's General Chit Chat
    *Tech Humor
    *General Software
    *Product/Book Review
    *Training/Conference Review

Newbie Help

*Newbie Security Questions
    *How To's
    *Tutorials

OS Forum

*Windows 95/98/ME/XP
    *Windows NT/2000
    *Linux/BSD
    *Mac

Security Discussions

*IDS & Scanner
    *Firewall & Honeypot
    *Microsoft Security
    *Unix/Linix/BSD Security
    *Mac Security
    *Network Security
    *Computer Forensics
    *Misc Security

Software/Programming

*Programming General
    *Games
    *AntiVirus
    *Database
    *Scripting Languages
    *Java
    *Web Design and Development

Hardware

*Cell Phones
    *PDAs/Handhelds
    *General Hardware
    *Compatibility Issues

Originally posted here by mohaughn
    Your message boards are bad because they very rarely have anything to do with what this site used to be about. INTERNET SECURITY!!!

For instance. Take a look at the main screen right now and look at the topics that it is displaying:

Out of the 25-30 different message threads it is showing... Only 7 of those are in the security related forums. Out of those 7 there are only about two messages that are really about security and not someone commenting on netscape without mozzila..

When people do post in the security sections, it is normally something like, "Why isn't this harddrive working right?"

I think you should either not make the message boards the focal point of the site, or do something to get the level of conversation in the message boards raised up a couple of notches. It seems that this is moreso turning into a newbie help site then a security related site.

I used to visit the site much much more then I do now because you had the news on the front of the site.. So it was convenient to have one place to go for news from other sources. I now use securityfocus and snn1 as my primary outlets for news sources.
    HAHAHAHA.. Gotta love it.. The administrator of this websites asks people for honest opinions.. And I give mine, which seems to be an opinion shared by several others here, and the negative points start flying. Even worse then that is that I provided actual data rather then just saying "Hey, this sucks."

And don't take this to be a whine about negative antipoints.. because I could care less about that pooh..

Banned
    Originally posted here by Terr
    I'm not sure about everything yet, but I will say...

Can you bring back the news feed?

I TOTALY AGREE!!!!

leave the most recent threads up as well, just put them under the news, and they dont have to be as many as they are now

I used to loooove to read all those news articles here... now i have to go to cnn.com to read news, lol im tooo lazy JP that was an awsome feature.

I like the idea of a newbies-only formum that would allow them to learn to post (without fear of antipoints)
    I would like to see more technical and security related postings (no humor--it gets old as it seems as if everyone is using humor to rack up greenies)
    The mood is one of walking on pins and needles. I feel like most people are scared to post for fear of getting banned....even if they have something valid to post.
    Its great...However, i do enjoying seeing good flames every once in a while..Hehe...You are doing great in this area
    I skim them several times a day...however, i would want to read them if there were more tuts and technical issues.
    I post at least once a day. I would post more if I didn't have to worry about being neg'd because someone needed to balance their points and I wasn't worried about losing so many antipoints.
    Do away with the "balance act" Its a waste of time and just makes people pissed off. Also, I agree with the idea earlier about limiting number of antipoints to 1 to 10 points based on a persons standing in the forums. This would make people less scared to post good stuff lest someone hit them for 40 or more negs (like i had happen 3 times in a row).
    The speed is fair....and the availability,(ive never had a problem reaching it, just sometimes, it takes forever.
    Add more bandwidth
    Overall, i think you are doing a great job, but like most people say, we would like to hear from you. Maybe you could post some good tuts as well
    Keep up the good work, Just try to understand that when you have alot of people with the same problem (antipoints), then there needs to be something done about it.

Just my 2 cents....however, overall, i love the site.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

1)What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?
    I would like to see more privileges for Senior Members (now that was self-serving, wasn't it?), e.g., custom titles. A Senior Member could have the "Senior Member" title, and/or a custom title underneath his/her name. Maybe some other perks too. Also, computer and tech related news would be good. I really would like to see a Technical Help Forum for general computer issues and problems.
    2)What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?
    I like the member spotlight feature. But it would be good to change the person every 30 days.
    3)[B]How would you describe the current mood in the forums? Does the modd need to be improved on, and if so, how?[B]
    Hmm, it does seem like a lot of the more Senior members aren't very active. I haven't seen Korp Death in a long time, and some of the others aren't nearly as active as when I first came. I'm not sure how to bring them back, but I think people with skills are a big boost to the site. I think the overall mood is somewhat paranoid. I think many people are reluctant to post because of fear of being negged.
    4)[B]How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums? [B] Very Good. If chemical or oblio were around today they would last about three minutes if they started some of their trolling. On the other hand, the balancing feature and freeflowing use of negatives has many people paranoid about posting.
    5)[B]How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more?[B] I'm in the forums daily, usually morning and night. More how-to and technically related stuff. I want to learn about computer security and security.
    [B]6) How often do you make a post to the forums? what might make you want to post more often?[B] I really don't know how often. I will probably post more when I know more and can speak more intelligently to more issues.
    [B]7) What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it,
    if at all?[B] Although it has it's good points, I'm starting to think it takes away more from the site than it adds. I would lean toward scrapping it. See question 11.
    [B]8) How would you rate the speed and availability of the AntiOnline website?[B]
    Very good now that the new servers are up.
    [B]9) If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?[B] I don't know.
    [B]10)What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me(I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)? I think you are pretty responsive to suggestions, and that's good. As others have said, I would like to see you post more, although I'm sure you have a busy schedule. I would like to see you share more of your expertise with us. Maybe some tutorials written by you. Maybe you could write a column for the newsletter now and then.
    [B]11)Free for all. Any other comments you may have....[B] Instead of the current antipoint system, I would rather have more moderators with more power. Current moderators do a good job, but they're spread too thin. They should have more power too. If someone gets out of line, let a moderator delete their posts, and if they persist, the moderator should be able to ban someone.

Thanks for asking for our opinions.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)