Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eternal loop

Bowlfreak

All of your steps are fine but you don't have to swap the settings unless you are assuming the problem will be a software one and not hardware (not a bad assumption). Also if you are just setting it up I would recommend getting two of the same type of drive and get ghost. Then instead of regularly copying you could regularly ghost an image of your first drive to your second one. You could then maintain a number of ghosted images labelled by date. If your drive gets corrupted you will not need to swap things around you will simply have to boot to the ghost floppy and restore from the second drive to the first the last latest image that was not affected by whatever corrupted your system.

Personally I consider this method far superior to backup. If you have a CDRW you can also copy these images to it for a more permanent archive and depending upon the value of the data you probably should consider keeping a set of these CD's off site.

Hope this helps.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Eternal Loop

It's been a while since I've worked with Win98, so please refresh my memory on this. The master and slave configuration is one of the few ways to have a readily-available backup of the data. Ghost and backups to tape or CD are also possible. Does Win98 support hardware/software disk mirroring or RAID configuration?
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

The master and slave configuration is one of the few ways to have a readily-available backup of the data
    bowlfreak:
    The Master/Slave settings are are used for how the hardware connects to the MB through the IDE cable. There may be more to it, but for all intents and purposes, lets just leave it at that. Simply because you have two hard drives set up in this manner does not mean that your second hard drive is a backup of your first. In order to ensure that your data is being backed up on your second hdd, you must use some of the other methods discussed in this post, particularly SodaMoca5's ideas. There are other types of desktop backup software out there as well.

Dude....the problem is that you have 2 hard drives with the same exact drive letters and the same exact OS on them. In bootup, your machine is going to look at the system partition for the boot files. When there are 2 c drives, or what have you, with the same information for boot parameters it defaults to the master then doesn't know how to read the slave. Take the 4 g drive out. Run the 6 g by itself and fdisk it. Then, bring the 4g back in the pic as master, and the 6 back as slave. Make sure your jumper settings are correct. Boot up with your 4 g OS and format the 6 g drive from there. It should work. I had the same problem when I did the same thing about a month ago.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

Love your sig Troy!
    Semper Fi!

Master/Slave

The only position that is critical to Windows is the Primary Master. It will be the C drive and will be the one it looks to for booting up.

You can use a third party boot manager to have multi boot capability or to boot from a different drive.

Second, as stated previously being on the same IDE cable only affects data flow through the cable. The Master has priority over the Slave. However, the Slave is an independent device.

Win98 does not have native RAID control. If you want a RAID system you have to buy an add on RAID controller. However for an effective RAID system you are going to want RAID 3 at a minimum. RAID 1 (mirroring) only protects you from hard drive failure. Viruses etc. will kill both hard drives in a RAID 1 system. Also, slow hardware degradation will affect both because the RAID 1 driver will not distinguish between good data and bad.

Personally I still think that it is best to use a good back up software or even a shareware copy software for data and ghost or a similar tool for the entire system. The latest ghost even allows you to image to and restore from multiple CD's and the restore time is awesome. If you restore from a hard drive it takes about 20 minutes or less to get your entire system back from an image. I am not sure of the time from CD. Of course this time is dependent upon the amount of data you have on the drive.

Hope this helps.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Old Fart
    This is just me personally....given the amount of trouble you seem to be having, I would update my bios, then head over to www.pricewatch.com and buy a 20 gig for around 60 bucks and be done with it.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...