Thread: infinite loop /BSOD

infinite loop /BSOD

Hi all

I've had a search around and I can't find anything on the forums regarding this subject (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm hoping the following info will be of interest to those it might affect. I'll briefly describe the problem I had ......

upgraded my pc with an extra 256MB RAM (before upgrade set up as Athlon 1800+ XP, Gigabyte 7VTXE mobo, nvidia GeForce2 mx400, , Win XP OS, 512MB Samsung DDR RAM). everything went fine until trying to play a game (RtCW, AVP2, Freespace1 and 2, if anyones interested)... then BAM.... PC restarts ... after a few times of this happening I turn off this 'feature' in WinXP and I try again. same thing happens, run Sisoft and MadOnion 2002... memory test in Sisoft fails and MadOnion totally crashes PC. BSOD indicates that there is a problem in nv4_disp.dll. Had a look around the net but couldn't find much of help.... other than - probably bad RAM or bad mobo i.e. the usual suspects. Note this BSOD also only happened with games or memory and 3D benchmarking software - nothing else. I thought at first its bad memory, so replaced the 'new' 256 chip with another one from a different manufacturer... same thing happens, go to a different shop and try out a 512MB stick, again from a different manufacturer... same thing happens again.... starting to suspect the mobo is at fault at this point. Anyway before marching out to burn the shop I got the PC from, I have one last look around the net (from a second PC) and I find a site of some interest. It took a while to find this info so I thought it might be of interest to anyone else having similar probs.... save them from running back and forth from the shop ;-). Anyway the below web page has more info and suggestions for solving the prob (if of any interest I had to open up AGP aperture on BIOS to 256MB, upgrade the nvidia drivers and lower the PCI texture for direct 3D to 32mb)

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

anyway.... hope it helps folks..... only second time I've posted with anything useful so please let me know if this would be better going in a different forum - or indeed if it's of no help....

Z

Computer Forensics
    nv4_disp.dll is part of your video driver.... reinstall the video card drivers, check your agp slot voltage settings ( make usre it complies with the mobo bus speed) or try a different video card....also, what res are you running your desktop at ?
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I have also ween this happen when the AGP aperture in bios on some systems is set wrong, you may want to check that if a reinstall of the vid drivers does not work.
    May Everyone Find the Happiness That They Deserve,
    Raisor

Computer Forensics
    stupid me...this was a rhetorical post......
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

ummm... possibly I didn't make myself clear - I am not experiencing the problem anymore. I know that nv4_disp.dll is related to the graphics card... AGP aperture was originally set to default 64MB.... the lines

<quote> Anyway the below web page has more info and suggestions for solving the prob (if of any interest I had to open up AGP aperture on BIOS to 256MB, upgrade the nvidia drivers and lower the PCI texture for direct 3D to 32mb) </quote>

were stating what I did to solve the problem on my system. I just thought the info might be helpful to someone else - I wasn't asking for help myself - although, not wishing to look ungrateful to hogfly and raisor thanks for the suggestions ;-)

Z

actually it's a common problem with nvidia vid cards and xp..

update the drivers, 30.82 seem to have fixed this problem for me... but i've had luck with 29.42.. but with different hardware different driver versions might work for you...

http://www.guru3d.com is a good place to get nvidia drivers... usually a review and some benchmarks as well..