networking

Thread: networking

networking

how could i add my freind to my network he lives about 3/4 a mile a way just down the street

God-Damn-It-Boy,

Thats a straightforward question.

In order to answer back your question, I need some details regarding your system.

Is your friend connected to you by cable, or any other means? And whats the operating system of both, you and your friend? Are the network cards and drivers installed? Using any hub, switch connection? ..etc

All I need is some details, and then your network is going to be ready.
    \" ZxC 4 life! \"

Speaking of Networking does anybody know a way that I can use the cable connections I have here at home up in Maine (get on the net in Maine using the feed that's in CT)?

The Iceman Cometh
    If you want your friend to access your network securely, I would recommend setting up a Virtual Private Network if he/she has a broadband connection, or a RAS if he/she has a modem connection. Another option, is to use a shell server and have your friend tunnel in via telnet/ssh/etc. Honestly, it all depends on what exactly you are trying to do with your network and what sort of access your friend needs. Also, you should check with your ISP for if you want to run any sort of web/ftp/shell server, you will likely be violating the EULA of your ISP.

Edit: Ratman, you mean tunneling into your computer in CT and utilizing the Internet through your cable connection there? Yeah, there's a way to do that, but you're still going to be limited to the speed which you are connecting to that machine with. If you PM me with some more details regarding what you're trying to do exactly, I may be able to give you a hand.

AJ

ok i whant him to conect to my lan i have a dlink wireless router with a 3 port hub the Dl-713P and i need to know what i would need to add him to it he has windows 95 and i have 98 o ya and how would i go about securing my lan seein how i leave my comp on 24/7 and i use a cable modem but i wana run a web server and stuff eventually

The problem with the dlink wireless is the distance. The coverage is 100 meters inside and 300 meters outside. If you want him to connect you will have to get an access point that has larger coverage.

This is not likely your region of the world, but the concepts are still the same for this. Wireless nodes would be a thing to consider for a LAN like that. Check this link out : http://pdxwireless.org/faq.php

Regards. Hope this helps.

edit : again, I can't emphasize it enough, the site I've posted is not for your location, but the concepts are sound.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

also, if you're making a wireless lan, if its not secure, anyone with a laptop and wireless nic could get into your network and do some nasty stuff...make sure there's some way you can restrict the computers that can connect to your wirless LAN (personally, I don't really know how wireless networks work, but I do know there's some way of restricting access to all computers except for 2 computers, identified by their mac address -- which would be an excellent start on securing it. But, like I said, I don't know if all wireless routers support that...maybe only the more expensive ones...please correct me if I'm wrong)