Thread: WinXP recovery console

WinXP recovery console

I made a mistake while loading linux to dual boot with xp... lilo wrote over my master boot record and I was no longer able to load xp. (not that thats a bad thing...)

When trying to repair the master boot record so I can use both operating systems, I tried to use the recovery console.

Apparently if you rename/delete your admin account on a machine running xp, you can't use the xp recovery console because it asks for the administrator account password.

After many many tries, I thought I was going to have to format and reload. All my data gone and I haven't backed up in at least two months!

I tried everything, even Win9x boot disks...

It turns out, you can use the Win2k boot disks to access the recovery console. There you have access to all recovery console commands without providing admin password. I could copy/delete/move/rename etc. files to and from external media.

However I wasn't able to move to a directory that had a space in it.

cd winnt
    cd drivers
    cd tempcd

worked just fine

cd program files
    cd documents and settings

did not work

I thought I had read somewhere that the recovery console will give you access to only windows setup folders and files?

Anyway, I thought it was strange as you need an account and password for every other boot option.
    In this case I was happy that I didn't have to reload my whole system.

Banned
    Hmmmm, If the MBR is the only thing you messed up.... Get a Windows XP setup disk (preferably XP Pro, but XP Home works also) Load the recovery console and use the following commands:

bootcfg /copy
    bootcfg /rebuild
    bootcfg /disableredirect

That will make a backup of your boot.ini file, rebuild your MBR to work with XP and then disable redirection into LILO...

Also you can just edit lilo.conf to work with XP:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MultiOS-HOWTO-6.html

If none of that works go to www.osloader.com and download OS loader, it should make it a little easier for you =)

I tired to use the windows xp recovery console, but it wants the administrator
    When I set up this box, I renamed the account, so it wouldn't let me in the console because the account didn't exist.

The win2k boot disks will let you into the console without a password.
    I then fixed the master boot record and then reloaded linux the correct way.
    Works perfectly now!

I do wish that I had posed this before all that though because your way would have saved me some time.

Thanks!

Banned
    Hmmm, So you dont have the admin password either?

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Use that program, make a boot disk and start your computer with it..... The admin account is there but Windows prolly set the password for it.... That should let you change the password for the admin (have you tried your password?)

I noticed the same thing, the password I mean when trying to enter the recovery console, all I did was hit enter and it let me in. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

When you boot the system now what comes up? Does Lilo come up, and the only thing you can select is linux? Is this the problem? Or does no OS boot?

Names with Spaces

For the files that had spaces in them did you try the name using the ascii input for spaces.

I.E. Program Files becomes Program%20Files

I am not sure this would work but it should.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

for the folders with spaces try using the trunkated version of the names, instead of Program Files use progra~1 in the console
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks for your help all! I got the problem worked out but don't seem to want to boot to windows any longer. I'm getting attached to linux.

Just for future info... some commands from the DOS command line can take quotes if the paramaters have spaces in them.

Example: del "c:\my documents"
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...