Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mp3's on my website

Cool mp3's on my website

hello all, I have just started getting into making webpages, still very new at it, using angelfire, its ok, i was wondering how to put music on my site though, like an intro song, can anyone help?

Banned
    There are a few ways.... and i used to know them, but its been a while... however i will tell you this, it wont be an mp3 file, it would have to be a .wav file.....

i think if its just for an intro the best way it FLASH add some sight to that sound

There are a few ways.... and i used to know them, but its been a while... however i will tell you this, it wont be an mp3 file, it would have to be a .wav file.....
    well, you can also have a .mid file (why do i feel that midi is dying?)

i have this tag in my homepage:
    <EMBED SRC="midi/st_elmo.mid" WIDTH=196 HEIGHT=49 AUTOSTART=TRUE REPEAT=FALSE></EMBED>

and when i view it will
    - put a media play control where you can start, pause, stop, seek and set the volume
    - start playing the mid file right away once and then stop

hope this helps.

peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

If you put a flash animation in the intro and the rest of the site you can put mp3's in your flash files. For the rest I have no idea how else...

Anyway good luck.

XaMi©

Here is one to further demonstrate the use of an embed tag for music files:
    http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/chap13.shtml

I thought since you are interested in web design I would give you a few links to some sites I found helpfull.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/
    http://www.w3.org/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Hmm, be aware that most surfers just get annoyed when a song starts to play on a web site. I usually quit those pages very fast (although I've set Proxomitron to block any possible background songs ). Like when you're listening to your own MP3's or radio and some stupid *.mid file starts beeping there it's not nice.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

The Iceman Cometh
    There is a way to run MP3's on a web site using ActiveX controls. However, this runs into a few problems. The first is, unless you have permission from the production studio, you will most likely be violating a copyright law by having someone else's song on your web site. Next is download time. If you want a 3 MB MP3 to play when your web site opens, the user will be required to download that file in the background before it starts playing. Over a modem, this could cause some serious problems. I would personally forgoe the music, for, as ZeroOne pointed out, it's really annoying when some song starts playing in the background while I'm doing research... especially when I'm working. The only time I would ever recommend using an MP3 on a web site is if you create your own MP3 (using SoundForge or ACID) and if it's for an internal LAN where speed is not an issue. For instance, one of execs. I work for wanted a personal web site for his internal LAN so his employees could get to know him on a more personal level so we composed a short MP3 which would repeat in the background while looking at the site.

AJ

Re: mp3's on my website

Originally posted here by dreamcatcher79
    hello all, I have just started getting into making webpages, still very new at it, using angelfire, its ok, i was wondering how to put music on my site though, like an intro song, can anyone help?
    AngelFire limits the amount of web views your page can recieve per day by the bandwidth used, and I noticed when I used their services with a 1.4MB intro song, and a few graphics. I would only be allowed 10 views per day. Also that 1.4MB intro song caused my page to take an average of 5 minutes to load. Just a heads up. Also Microsoft Front Page may be the way you want to go with Web Design. It is fully supported by angelfire and adding images and sound is a no brainer with Front Page. Unless you have web experience then I would go with other methods.

... Next is download time. If you want a 3 MB MP3 to play when your web site opens, the user will be required to download that file in the background before it starts playing. Over a modem, this could cause some serious problems. ...
    ... Also that 1.4MB intro song caused my page to take an average of 5 minutes to load. Just a heads up. ...
    then midi is the answer! mp3 is big, wav is even bigger. mid files are usually 20-40 kb. i've never seen mid files more than 50 kb. midi sequencer also takes much less resources than mp3 player does. it's got no vocal, but you can still hear good james bond's theme song or my favorite st. elmo's fire...

but like i said midi is dying or dead... (i kinda miss the time when voyetra midi orchestrator for win 3.1 hit the market and midi was the only good music we got on computers)

peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Just my opinion, try and stay away from sound on a website. People browsing your site, for example, at work in a office building, don't want to get caught because of a tinny midi or wav file.

As I said, just my opinion.