Thread: Does AIM log your sent messages?

Question Does AIM log your sent messages?

I just installed AOL instand messenger stumbled on some thing i thought maybe you guys could explain to me. I know AIM is really insecure and thats not what this is about. what i want to know is about some files that AIM creates when you sign on and talk.

the files are located in this folder C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Aim. In that folder a folder is created with the name of any screen name that has signs onto AIM on your computer. in each of those folders there are a number of files and other folders. one folder named "picture" seems to have the graphics file of any one that sends you their "buddy icon" the other folder is named "urlcache" and thats what i'm particularly intrested in. its seems that every time you talk to people and then sign off files are added.

this is what i have at the time in the folder:
    aimB012.TMP
    aimD1A3.TMP
    aimD1A5.TMP
    cookie.dat
    urlcache.dat

so what i was wondering was if any body had any idea what these files are for, whats in them and if there is any way to decrypt them.
    thanks for your time

The Iceman Cometh
    The urlcache is a folder where it temporarily (though it never deletes them) the small advertisements that AOL sends out via the AIM program. They're not at all necessary, and you can delete them at any time. You were right that the buddy icons are stored in the picture folder. As for logging, AIM doesn't log incoming or outgoing messages unless you download an add-on which does it for you. Hope that answers your questions.

AJ

thanks avdven. do you happend to know where you can get one of those loggers

The Iceman Cometh
    Check here: http://www.geocities.com/iceboarder4eva/AimPlanet.html

I personally like AIM+: http://www.big-o-software.com/ but I use Trillian now, which I know isn't really more secure, but there are no banners and it has automatic logging for all of my chat sessions for every medium I chat in.

AJ

Banned
    tho i see that your in windows, if you were in linux id say go with GAIM. its like trillan but for linux