Thread: mounting problems on RH linux (fd0)

mounting problems on RH linux (fd0)

Hi, I seem to be haveing dificulties mounting my floppy drive. I am trying to set up my ethernet adapter to work in redhat linux. I have a driver disk that came with the ethernet card. In that floppy disk is a linux directory, so I opened the linux directory and found two files, tulip.c and readme

I hopened the read me and there was instructions for seting up my ethernet card.

So I then booted to linux egar to try it out. So I inserted the floppy and:

mount /dev/fd0

I have a book , Teach yourself linux in 24 hours, and in that book was instructions for accessing a floppy drive, it says I am suposed to mount it, then i can use the floppy. So I issued the above command and viola:

VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev 02:00
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/fd0, or too many mounted file systems

So i went to google and did a web search, I found this

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue65/tag/27.html

Someone obviously had the same error I have and did a post about it, I read it over but it does not seem to have a answer for my question.

As an atatchment I am atatching the readme on my driver disk for the ethernet card, incase anyone needs more information.

I am woundering if somebody may know the reason why I cannot mount my floppy drive.

I need to copy the tulip.c from my floppy disk to /usr/src/linux/drivers/net so that I can compile tulip.c.

Any sugestions?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

you will want to mount it as a fat32 or msdos drive then. If I'm not mistaken the command should be something to the likeness of "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0" (I say likeness because this is the command from FreeBSD and though it is close to linux, it's not quite the same.)

Good luck.

Edit :
    if you are in need of more information on mounting other file system types, try "man mount" and you should get what you are looking for.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

If its is default redhat install you should be able to mount your floppy using
    mount /mnt/floppy.
    if that doesnt do it vi your /etc/fstab and see if you have your floppy drive listed
    I toor\'d YOU!

Talking Tulip?

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but the tulip driver is a standard module. You should not even need the one of the disk. You may need to recompile your kernel (unlikely since RedHat enables everything by default ;-)), but you should use the one that comes with the latest kernel. BTW mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy should do the trick for ya!

Cheers,
    m!thr!l

Yes, the tulip module is standard in (AFAIK) all the 2.4.x kernels. modprobe tulip should load it if it isn't already. You can then check to see whether it's working with ifconfig eth0.

You can fix the mounting problem in the future by editing your /etc/fstab file like so:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat noauto,user 0 0

Then all you have to do is mount /mnt/floppy and you're in business!
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Thank you all for your help.

I tryed everything, the one that worked is:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

problems solved, I guess it just depends on your version of the mount as I learned after the sugestion of looking at the manual page, I did a man mount and that explained everything that you people sugested. Maybe I have a older version since my version of redhat is 5.2

I think the reason why the readme file was instructing me to use the tulip.c from the floppy is posibly because maybe it is an updated version or they want to be sure I have the corect drivers. I compiled everything as instructed and now I just have to use netconf to configure my network settings.

Thanks so much once again for all your help.
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Maybe I have a older version since my version of redhat is 5.2
    Yikes! Isn't that a 2.0.36 kernel? You REALLY should think about a little upgrade, there.....
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Now that I have compiled tulip.c and updated my kernel module dependancys as stated in the readme, I am haveing dificulties with configureing my network.

Upon reading the network configuration documentation at redhat

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...e-netconf.html

I entered netconf at the shell prompt, ofcource it is the text version as aposed to the graphical version in the documentation but the same principles should aply.

Useing winipcfg in windows 98 SE i was able to obtain my gateway, pri and secondary dns servers, ip address, dhcp address and other relavent network information. I also checked my TCP/IP settings in controll pannel>network.

I wrote everything down, then promptly rebooted to linux, entered netconf mode and began to configure my network with the information obtained from winipcfg

However there is a conflict, as upon boot up my boot log shows an error while starting dhcp on eth0 which I prosume is my ethernet card. Since I followed the instructions in the readme exactly I would assume that my problem is not a result of not haveing the corect drivers or dependancies, but a problem with my network information i entered during configuration of my network.

I have the rogers at home service, the new one, not sure if anyone is familiar with it, but I have done many web searches for help with seting up my rogers internet conection in linux.

There is an article found at

http://www2.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/linux...e-Modem-3.html

which I believe was origionaly found at www.linux.org , anyway the rogers at home service had made several changes during its time, as a result i believe they have changed to useing DHCP for dynamic ip assignment.

However in the booklet they gave me, which only covers mac and windows, they spasificaly tell you to choose disable dhcp in the properties for TCP/IP in your network settings in windows.

Upon issueing the winipcfg command in windows and viewing the advanced information I can see a ip assignment for DHCP server, yet the rogers book said to disable DHCP.

My modem works fine in windows, but now when i try lynx in linux, and issue the go command to say:

www.yahoo.com

it says something in the lines that it is a invalid url, something like that. The main error message I have noticed is in my boot logs saying there was an error starting DHCP on eth0

So my question would be, does anyone have some ideas of things I can try to resolve my improperly configured network, or perhaps you may have some sugestions of some things i can search for in google.

I did some web searches already, and anything i find on rogers in linux apears to be out dated.

Sugestions would be greatly apreciated.

ok, I gust did some research, first, I booted to linux and issued the ifconfig command to see if it found my ethernet card, and it apears to have found my card.

As for the "Using DHCP for eth0 ... failed" error I get during boot up, it apears the answer is here

http://www.ibiblio.org/oswg/oswg-nig...79.html#AEN326

And after some fusterating hours I did another search for "Rogers@home" in linux and found this:

http://www.geocities.com/linuxnewbiesite/rogers.html

But instead of useing netconf it uses netcfg. I looked that up and found out that netcfg has a GUI interface while netconf runs in text mode. I tryed to start netcfg but with failed atempts:

TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY enviroment variable. My book on linux shows me how to set enviroment variables so I will try that. I contribute it to me not haveing configured my X11 server. So I am in the processos of trying to get my video card information, meanwhile i am stuck with netconf.

In lynx if i issue the g command to enter a url such as www.yahoo.com I get the message:

badly formed address www.yahoo.com

I would assume that the information provided at http://www.geocities.com/linuxnewbiesite/rogers.html should be easily applyed to netconf, I checked everything and it looks ok,

I have read so many newnet posts about getting rogers to work in linux, it apears that some people have suceded in doing so while others are left in the dark strugleing.

I realy apreciate all the help you people have provided me with.