Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Linux...security Help!

New To Linux...security Help!

Im in the process of trying to switch from windows to linux. the part of securing linux is killing me though. I have a couple of questions. First off, do I need a firewall with linux and if so where can I find a good one. I've been searching for this information but all i could find was info on firewalls for servers. Second question, where can I go to find information about linux to get me started? The man pages and howto's are alot of information to sort through when you really don't know what your looking for. I need something for linux newbies to get me going.

The Linux kernel already includes all the firewalling you need - iptables. Although iptables is difficult to work with in its raw form, there are tons of GUI front ends for it to halp you set your firewall policies. You can search for firewalls at www.freshmeat.net. I recommend Firestarter for beginners.

For docs, you can check www.linuxdoc.org and www.mandrakeuser.org. Iptables info is at netfilter.samba.org and general security is at www.linuxsecurity .com.

That should keep you busy for a while.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

What version of Linux are you running? I'm in the same place as you are, seeing I just converted my Laptop to run IcePack Linux, but I have gotten through alot of the adjustments. I would check out sites such as "your linux distributors home page" and linux forums, and yes I would advise the use of a firewall with your system. I can't suggest a firewall as of yet, due to the fact I have went through two I really don't care for, but if you PM me I will work together with you to solve any problems you encounter along the way.

the fundamentals are the same no matter what OS you are running. if you know basic security practices, which you seem to, then it will just take a little time to get used to the linux guts.

I recommend http://www.linuxnewbie.org
    They have a lot of HOWTO's for you to read.

hi
    I think linux have a built in firewall. Just go to console and type "tinyfirewall" .
    A friend of mine from this site helped me get started and gave me this links
    http://bifurcating.net/unices/rute/index.html
    http://dsl.org/cookbook/

I believe tiny firewall is limited to Mandrake Linux.

The kernel already has one, however to safer (if thats the word), try smoothwall.org. It is a very good firewall and is dead easy to setup (Also works on Windows)

What do you men Tiny is limitedto Mandrake linux? I have tiny and I'm running windows mellenium (ew). Lol

LOL!!! Wrong tiny firewall.