Windows - Gaming Errors (s.o.s.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows - Gaming Errors (s.o.s.)

Banned

Question Windows - Gaming Errors (s.o.s.)

Hey All,

I'm a big gaming fan with computers, and recently I upgraded my whole system to a new thing. My problem with this system and windows is that I can't run select games due to Critical Errors. With Deus Ex, I had a CE of Bad Name Index (Similar with Unreal Tournament) as well as WarCraft III crashing after I go to load a campaign.

I tried searching MS database of error messages and codes, but find myself not finding what I need.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Side note: Those who want my specs.

AMD Athelon XP 1.6
    460mb RAM (SD)
    Giga-Byte MB (Onboard sound)
    30Gig Maxtor 7200 rpm
    nVidia TNT2 Riva Cougar 32mb video
    Lucent 56k Winmodem
    17" Envision Digital Flat

Hi tyger_claw,

According to your hardware-specifications, everything seems fine.

I am not sure about the games-requirements; but is DirectX installed? And updated to the latest version?

Besides, if the games you'd obtained are originals, from a legitimate source, you can contact the software dealer back, or read the game troubleshooting text.

Just trying to help here.
    \" ZxC 4 life! \"

Banned
    Thanks for the fyi.

I do have the up-to-date DirectX drivers (8.1) from my installation of WarCraft3

I also checked the sites of both Eidos (DeusEx) and Infogrames (Unreal).
    The only thing I can get from their sites, is to try and download the newest drivers for my periferals. (Theay also suggest running the game while in Windows Safe Mode, seeing if anything not loaded while in safemode is the source of a conflict.)

Hope that works, if not, still open to any help

Hint

Hi!

Just to point out a tactic I use to check for conflictions;

1) Hit the Ctrl+Alt+Delete buttons together and "End Task" every program listed. Of course, some fundamental programs such as Explorer should be kept running.

2) Rerun the games.

Bonne Chance
    \" ZxC 4 life! \"

I get quite a few problems with my box also and I believe that it is leading to my video card. I also have the same vid card as you. I think it is time to go Geforce or Radeon.
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.

yeah, also, expanding on mrZxC, if you have win2k or XP, shut down all the processes you KNOW you don't need...like for winamp and stuff
    ..::BSD::..

Make sure you have the Detonator drivers for the video card, and not the lastest one for your particular card. This makes a huge difference, and looking at your specs, it's the video card that looks to be the slow end. If you're not using the Detonator drivers from nvidia, it might be causing the errors.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

What's the OS? Maybe you mentioned it, but I didn't see it. I just wanted to point out that EIDOS can be a big pain in the ass. For a while they refused to support windows 2000 or XP. I'm not sure if this is still practice, but you should definately check out their website. Most games have forums, and most have a technical problem forum as well. Check out their sites, and maybe you'll find something there.

Also, were the errors exactly the same for each game? Can you run any games on your machine?

Banned
    I personally belive it is the fact you have onboard audio. I belive this is what you said you
    have.
    If you do have onboard audio, this can run into problems with alot of games. Maybe think about dumping $50 on a 4.1 or 5.1 sound blaster.

Banned
    When did this problem start occuring? Did you recently delete any items off your machine that may be effecting your games or dll files. My suggestion, would be to refresh your system, install all the newest drivers, and run a fresh machine, and hopefully it was just a problem that occured between a program you deleted. Unless I had alot more information, that is all I can suggest.