Help me before i kill this computer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me before i kill this computer.

Help me before i kill this computer.

Hey all,
    I have a problem with a computer I am working on. It is a Pentium III 900 with 30 gig hard drive running Win 2K pro. Recently it wouldnt turn on. but now it turns on and I cant get it to boot up Windows. It gets the the first boot screen and the scroll bar get almost to the end then the computer restarts. I also tried selecting safe mode but that didn't work. Now I am trying a reinstall cause I am at a total loss of what to try. I have tried disabling hardware in the bios but it still is not working.

Any help would be greatly apreaciated. Thanks
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Welcome to Windows! lol.. I've had this problem before.. It can be caused by and affected boot up when yo first loaded the box with the OS. Try re-installing it again and then if it doesn't work, try system restore at startup. Again, Im not much into Windows problems but I can try to help. If you still have problems, PM me.

It might have hardware or driver it does not like. It happened to me when installing WinXP Pro, and found out it was a master/slave setting. Just double check everything no matter how trivial. Also try another OS and see what hapenens to rule out master/slave stuff...

Hope this helps

And reinstalling didn't help either? Have you tried booting from a disk? How about trying to install another OS, just to see if that works? Just too find out it's a software or a hardware problem.
    ---
    proactive

Are all the fans running? Have you tested the RAM lately? Whenever I run into problems like this that do not seem to obey any kind of pattern, I generally suspect hardware first. I'm wary of 4 things: CPU, RAM, Power Supply, and Cooling Systems (Heatsinks, fans, etc).
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Heh, shoulda thought of that albn! Good job man! You know more than I do.. lol

Heh, shoulda thought of that albn! Good job man! You know more than I do.. lol
    I doubt there is much truth to that statement. It just happned to be a problem I ran into a while back, and if it helps Casper any, then I deserve praises and thanks, otherwise, it's just an idea....

i havent reinstalled yet. I also tried booting using the last known good config, that didnt work. I have taken out every card in the computer. i am reinstalling now.

BTW does any one know how to get the address book out of outlook express when I have the drive but cant open the program?\

Ram works. All fans are running. Hard drive is set on single.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

There are database files for outlook express,and is found here:

X:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Hope this helps.

Banned
    This may be off the subject, but I had a cooling problem where I would get a system up, and it would run for a couple seconds and either freeze or reboot. Unless I left it down for a couple minutes, every time I would reboot it would self reset. Is this similiar to your problem?