Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hacker simulators?

gamemaster6502: You mus think about Uplink! And you are right, it is not realistic! But the feel of the game is great!

To hack away on your kernel means to study it and learn how it works! That is the very nature of haxoring!
    I breathe, therefore I am!
    I type, therefore I live!
    [shadow]I love, therfore I die![/shadow]

what you also can do is go buy the book hack attacks revealed it comes with a CD-ROM which has a simulator...and furthermore this is a very good book to learn about computers, networking, programming, etc. And I agree on the comment about joining some wargames...And the world isn't all Linux, try NT or Novell as well

what is a hacker simulator

I was reading all teh posta on this , and was wondering what a hacker simulator was.. and what was the point of having one?

Later_Gator > Hacker simulator or games ( although I haven't test any of them ) is kinda software wich you can use to test your security knowlage or playing some security risks on them instead of going and playing with some .gov sites which will get you into trubble
    Like soccer games wich you can play it in a real world or in computer.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

Originally posted here by linuxcomando
    Sure, install linux and start programming
    Hax0r away at you kernel.
    Got to start somewhere why not use linux?
    Do anyone know how to go about building a wargame box or drill box?

I have the game uplink and i also have a really good hack sim called hls which is really good.

So what whould be good in a hack simulator. I know that most people think you should use unix or one of its copys to hack or practice with but i want to use windows to hack with because i dont hear any one using it so that is what i want to do but i want to start with a simulator first.

spivkid> All you need to do is set up a *nix machine with a fair amount of security, and tell someone the IP. And then let them haxor away
    I breathe, therefore I am!
    I type, therefore I live!
    [shadow]I love, therfore I die![/shadow]

Kernel is...

...the main part (often say.. core) of operating system which resides in primary memory (RAM) till the system is switched off. It performs basic operation like memory management, CPU scheduling, I/O scheduling. The other part is called whenever required by the OS.
    ragmyn

At the heart of the Internet culture is the force that want to know everything about you.

Whoever came up with that "system" of wargames is a genious, IMO. Just the other day I had been talking with my cousin saying that there should be a designated computer system to where you hack into to test you skills, etc.