Thread: DocSTAR

DocSTAR

A company that i work for uses this system called DocStar, which what it basically does is scans a documents in then stores them in tiff files and allows everyone on the network to view it.Now im was wondering if there was a open source version. The price tag on the system is 20K, so as you can see i am looking for an alternitive that is alot cheaper, free would be great . Any suggestions would be great.Most likely ill start programming one if there isnt and open source one but why do that if there is one avaliable already?

From what I see, it looks like a combination of Acrobat and Photoshop... weird!

Anyway, from what the web site described the software, why not use a normal flatbed scanner and make the documents as a TFF file in GIMP? That's a little clunkier, but free!! Also, if you need to translate the documents to be secure, make them a GhostScript file and encrypt the puppy!

Hope this helps.

hell, for that much a year i'll come and scan docs and share them on my hdd for people to browse copy and read all they want!!!

got an exchange server? intranet site?
    get a $100 scanner, setup an internal web page, organize the images.. create the page, and assign someone to scan and post the images to the site as they're made..

or maybe i'm just over simplifying things.. always possible, i've done it before..

exchange server , don't have one of those but ive got a shirt that says exchange microsoft , actually were running apache, but you bring up an interesting idea, now the question is how can i automate it so that all the docs as soon as they are scaned will be uploaded to the site?
    And also the DocStar scanner scans 100 ppm, and on any given day well have 400pg to scan in.
    I toor\'d YOU!

For that amout of scanning your going to need something a little better than your house hold scanner. As for the automating thats a though one.

http://www.microtekusa.com/corp.html
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.