View Poll Results: Are you in favor of this or similar laws?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need some direction or we\\\'ll get squashed!

1 11.11%
  • Government reviewing new releases? The sun will burnout first!

0 0%
  • Probably necessary, but they\\\'ll mess it up anyway.

1 11.11%
  • Absolutely not, they\\\'ll probably tax the Net to finance it!

7 77.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Cafes

Banned

Question Internet Cafes

Ok this poll is to help me with something.

When you guys go on vacation how many of you go to internet cafes, how many of you would like to see internet cafes in vacation areas, and how many of you would care less and not pay to go on the internet while your on vacation.

thanks guys

Banned
    We have internet LAN gaming areas that offer internet connection. It is $5. an hour, and you can do anything from play on the LAN, search the net etc. However, there is no food, drinks, or smoking. I think I would like internet access at a bar or coffee shop. I noticed when I was on vacation in Boston they were in the act of opening an internet coffee house in the mall we were shopping in. I would like to see alot more Internet Cafe's / Internet Bars (I know there is one in NY, but the way thay have it set up is quite creepy... I'll provide a link) and LAN stations.

Whether it is that I am on business travel or vacation. I usually try to reserve a hotel with high speed internet access. I would agree with X that if there was a coffee house or bar that had internet access available. I may - "may" spend a couple bucks to jump online while I sit back relax and enjoy my drink. If I was not able to reserve a hotel with high speed internet access. I would spend alot of my free time in one of these facilities.

Banned
    Thanks for the feedback guys keep em comming

just to clear things up, the cafe im talking about would have cofee, food, drinks, books, EVERYTHING.... most computers are going to be Windows based, but i think i want to set upe maybe 5 linux boxes for the die hard linux fans such as myself, but im not sure about that yet, kinda risky, lol, i would have to lock it down nicely.

The Iceman Cometh
    There's a small cyber cafe near me where you can buy a sandwich and/or coffee as well as some other small snacks. I don't really see the point in it (at least not here, since we don't get too many travellers here).

I, like Joey, generally bring a laptop and/or Pocket PC for Internet access in hotels with high speed Internet access. Also, not only does my cell phone have a small browser on it, but I have an attachment so that I can dail-up to the Internet with my computer through a PCMCIA card which attaches to my cell phone. That way, even when I'm camping or something, I can still check my e-mail and look things up if I need to. Hell, one time, I even reserved a few hotel rooms for my friends and I while we were out in the middle of the desert so we could make sure that when we got into town, we would have a place to take a decent shower.

AJ

Banned
    Very good point, and thats one of the only things that is stoping me, most hotels now have internet access even if they are crappy little hotels....

but again, this is just for feedback purposes, so keep em comming, and vote in the poll

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    Liran wot we need to do is get the barnes and nobles in loemans to get internet cafe cuz it get boring playing chess vs < better ppl and i read too many books there they getig bored of me
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

I wanted to open a cyber cafe here because it's virtually non-existent in my neck of the woods and I could see it being very worthwhile financially. It's still a possibility, if the funding is tangible. Of course, I'm not entirely sure I'd know how to go about it, but you have to learn somehow. They've always intrigued me, some of those places are like a crack house, full of feening 'net junkies on vacation. Mind you, I'm not saying everyone that uses them are junkies (at least not in a negative connotation), otherwise I'd be a hypocrite for saying such being that I've been in them myself. That's just an observation I've made in some places like that.
    [glowpurple]It all works out in the end.[/glowpurple]

But that\'s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Dennis Miller

Dome.. I told you I'd post!!!

In my area here, there have been a few internet cafe's established... Unfortunately, they went the way of inflatable flamethrowers...

These places had food, rather decent net speed, and books n crap... but there really wasn't enough demand (that is an area specific problem, not a general statement)....

So I'd recommend you find a cafe that is already establish, and do a small test with them.... better than forking out heaps of $$$ to find out that its not really successful....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Well, in Australia, broadband hasn't developed much compared to other countries. This is because of the high fees (well in austalia it is anyway). So I wouldn't see anypoint to have internet cafes in places were there is only dial-up service.

However, in major cities (eg. brisbane, sydney and victoria etc.) I would love to see more around. I can't see a point however if your paying per hour on a slow dial-up account.

Thats my opinion. Great Post Dome!