Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with Ie :@

help with Ie :@

ok heres the scoop.. a long time ago... when i was stupid i used to try to edit virus's.... i think i may have opened one of them my internet explorer has gone dead meaning that i cant click on the internet explorer icon to open the internet, instead now i have to type the http:// site in a folder and let it go from there... since then i have not been able to open popups such as ones from javascript and so-on this has been a good thing when coming to advertisements but.. if anyone could help me to try to get internet explorer back on track i could use the help thank you... and yes.. i am stupid for editing the virus's...
    [pong][gloworange]Tool Rules[/gloworange][/pong]

Banned
    Have you tried to reinstall IE? Run a virus scan on your computer?

done both of those.. they havent worked so far.. could it be that it deleted a system file?

The Iceman Cometh
    As Fakeboy suggested, try reinstalling IE. Also, does the IE icon under the Start Menu work? It may simply be that the icon on the desktop is pointing to the wrong place somehow. As for pop-ups, etc. are you running any sort of ad-blocking software either a third-party program or one integrated in firewall or something? Those generally cause those types of problem. As for the Java problem, try to reinstall the Java Virtual Machine. Should fix that.

AJ

Banned
    personally I would wipe the system using something like BCWipePD, Fdisk the hard drive, Format the Hard Drive, and re-install everything except the viruses, but then again. That is just me.

i have a firewall but on rare occasions i use it... i mainly have it turned off. and i hate 3rd party programs because they have trojans most of the time... hmmm
    any other advice? i know its kinda hard to understand since your not sitting here with the problem ive got
    lol

Format my hardrive...

The Iceman Cometh
    i have a firewall but on rare occasions i use it... i mainly have it turned off. and i hate 3rd party programs because they have trojans most of the time...
    Well, first of all, since you have experimented with some viruses, you know how damaging they can be. Because of this, I would *always* have a firewall and an updated virus scanner enabled on your computer. The virus scanner will help protect you from viruses while the firewall will limit the ability of any Trojans you have on your system from accessing the Internet.

As for third-party programs containing Trojans, what third-party programs are you referring to? In the last 10 years, I have been hit with one virus and one Trojan. The virus was from a web site (it was the Nimda virus and Symantec hadn't released definitions for it yet, and one of the webservers I administered was hit with it). The Trojan was through an e-mail, once again, I got it before Symantec had released definitions for it. When it asked for Internet access, I immediately blocked it, and sandboxed it until the definitions were released to remove it.

AJ

Banned
    Originally posted here by avdven
    As for third-party programs containing Trojans, what third-party programs are you referring to?
    Kazaa (had to say it)

I haven't used a P2P program in a while... No, Seriously...

true... kazaa is third party.... i have it.. then again... who doesnt???

and that brings up a new subject

where the hell did kazaa come from??

The Iceman Cometh
    true... kazaa is third party.... i have it.. then again... who doesnt???
    I don't.

where the hell did kazaa come from??
    You must have installed it. If you want remove it, simply uninstall it, and run LavaSoft Ad-Aware to remove the accompanying spyware. Then, if you do wish to keep using a P2P sharing program, at least use Kazaa Lite (www.kazaalite.com) which doesn't have spyware or banners.

AJ