Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxy Question

Question Proxy Question

I'm using an old Gateway system (P1/75mHZ) running Windows 95 and am trying to configure a proxy but each time I try to install, I get an error message stating my sockets are configured correctly. How do I go about the proper configuration, or is it that this machine is a total piece of crap and I'm stuck with what I got? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd personally download a linux distribution, find a Firewall-HOWTO, and learn linux.

it's easy to use, robust, and just plain fun to use.

Problem is I'm limited for space, which is why I'm running Win95, I think I'm using a 400 meg hard drive. Thanks for the suggestion
    [glowpurple]It all works out in the end.[/glowpurple]

But that\'s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Dennis Miller

Welp, with Windows, praying helps. Anyways, you need to first check your firewall settings or does Win not have the firewall by default. Also, try configuring your sockets to a different port and make sure you aren't behind a firewall. Configuring a proxy isn't hard due to many proxy servers. If you need more help, pm me.

actually, you could probably put together linux gateway using about the same or less space as the wn95... there are also floppy distributions that will give you a complete firewall/gateway system that fits on a floppy disk.

Good advice g00n I didn't think of that.

i'd agree with the using a slimline linux distro

-alternatively which socket version are you using? the packaged win95 winsock library is less supportive/robust/error-free than the upgraded version available for download for win95 from microsoft's site.
    -droby10

maybe you need to upgrade the version of winsock its using, i know the ms site had an upgrade for it at on time. what does it say about winsock in the system requirment for the proxy your installing. if i can ask...why do want to put proxy on your own machine? unless you have a network.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah when I used to use windows 95 on my old pc, eveytime I reinstalled It needed to re download winsock2 get it here at http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...s2/Default.asp
    That might make things easier for you, but yeah why not try a small version of linux on it? My old pc is going to become a BSD firewall when I get a monitor for it(I pinched its one and put it on here)But I am not sure that would fit on your hard disk, Have a look around for small linux versions like g00n said.

I have a compaq 75e that is running windows 95. I use it as a proxy server running a program I downloaded from www. analogx.com. It is a very small and efficient program. I would try using this before diving into a linux project.
    Welcome to Indiana Basketball!