AMD cries foul!

View Poll Results: Are you stepping up security on 9/11?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I\'m on full alert!

1 12.50%
  • I\'m a little concerned.

1 12.50%
  • I\'m not worried.

6 75.00%
  • My network is perfect!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD cries foul!

Old Fart

AMD cries foul!

Chipmaker AMD has accused an industry consortium (founded in part by Intel) of changing the way a performance test (SYSmark 2002) works in a manner that favors the Intel products. AMD has long claimed that it can hold its own against Intel's offerings even though their chips run at a slower clock speed than their Intel counterparts. According to the article (see link below) the new test has had components that favored AMD removed while components that favor Intel have been added, some in multiple instances. As a result, the AMD processors that were able to excel above the Intel line under SYSmark 2001 are now lagging behind using the new version of the test. On a personal note, I think the 'megahertz myth' is just that...a myth. True performance in an everyday working eviroment is what really counts. So I'm posting a poll to see how my fellow AO members feel about the 2 chips. Hopefully after you vote in the poll, you'll post and let us all know why you prefer your choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/27/te...odaysheadlines

This is from the NY Times....you may have to log in to view the article, but membership is free.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I have had better luck using AMD. I have a pentium II 300 that runs slower than a AMD 200 that I had running with the same hardware and software. I can run DVD almost seamlessly on a AMD 200 and on the PII it skips contantly. (And both are running the DXR3 DVD decoder card, win 98 minimum install on a 1 gig hard drive.)
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I to believe that mhz is wrong to focus on, especially with AMD, that can do multiple calcs in one hertz!
    I breathe, therefore I am!
    I type, therefore I live!
    [shadow]I love, therfore I die![/shadow]

I'm willing to bet that AMD runs away with the vote here. It's funny how people who are really into linux and software development type things almost always prefer AMD, while gamers and other "less serious" users tend to go for Intel, presumably because of Intel's high Quake 3 scores.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I personally would go for AMD because i think their range of products are just as good if not better and also more affordable.I have personally seen a AMD K6 500 with 64MEG Ram,32meg scr/card and 6 gig h/drive outperform a intel celeron 600 with more or less the same criteria.

Again that's my personal opinion.
    Good post allenb.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.

Thumbs up AMD

Hi Al,
    I chose the AMD purley because I am a tightwad and the AMDs are less expensive. I have also had very good luck with the AMD CPUs. The last 25 or 30 systems I have built were all AMD and ( knock on wood ) none of those customers have been dissatisfied. The Intel chips were always my choice untill I found I could build 1 and a 1/2 as many systems as I could with the ever more expensive Intels, I mean eegadz!! Have you looked at the prices of the old Xeon cpu's? Intel must be vewy, vewy, pwoud of them.

[gloworange]AMD[/gloworange]
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I have always had an easier time overclocking AMD systems, and the price difference is another factor. I have always found the systems to be quite comparible by my own standards, with that being said. You could see why I would choose the cheapest of the two.

I have used AMD only in the last few years and found AMD's although cheaper and have its plusses, I have had bad luck with AMD's CPU temps. However, I do have to say I have had good luck otherwise as long as I have decent cooling.

I do game pretty seriously (I do win money if you were unsure about my seriousness) but I love AMD
    I think the group of people that like AMD better are just the smarter ones ;o

Old Fart
    Agreed albn....there are two very important things to remember when considering AMD processors...a good CPU fan and an AMD-approved power supply. These are both items that you should never overlook!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...