Thread: Connection problems

Connection problems

Im having a problem connecting to my home computer from work . I am behind a firewall here at work but port 23 and 80 are open to me i know this because i am on the internet and i am able to connect to telnet servers my problem is this at home i have a cable modem and i am running a telnet server but from work i am unable to even ping my home machine how is this could my work be filtering out those ips? or icmp req? btw im running win2k on the home computer with NAT setup i dont think its a setup problem because i had my linksys router on the outside b4 and i still could not ping it from work . any ideas

Hmm...Have you successfully telnetted to your Win2k machine from outside your NAT server before? Have you port-forwarded port 23 for your Win2k machine to your router? If you haven't, make sure that port 23 is forwarded to your router, otherwise global clients won't be able to see your Win2k's telnet port. Ping is a good test for network connectivity, but ping operates by sending an ICMP packet to a machine hoping to elicit an ECHO_RESPONSE, which I don't believe operates on port 23. I think it may operate on the echo port which would be 7. Don't quote me on that one, though!

Good luck!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

my work is prob filtering out port 7 then if its the icmp one . telnet is running on my win2k box witch is the router.

telnet is running on my win2k box witch is the router
    So you are running a telnet server on your win2k box, which is also acting as a router? If your Win2kbox/telnet server is acting as a router, then can I assume that your router has a real IP address, and that NAT is not an issue at all?
    Try pinging other known internet addresses. See if one of them comes back. If this is the case, then icmp is not blocked. If you can verify that it isn't blocked then try pinging your win2k box. If it doesn't come back then the problem most likely lies with your setup at home.

Now if it DOES come back, then there's a setup issue in regards to your telnet server.

The fact that you can telnet to other servers, and browse the web at work, then this all points to config problems at your home.

How about some more info about your setup at home. How do you have NAT confiured? It sounds like you only have one machine, so why do you even need NAT?

have three coputers (rh 73, winxp, win2k) . just setup nat but it should be out of the problem right now as you said because i am running telnet from it . with the actual ip i know i cant ping things from work even a ping to www.yahoo.com comes back unreachable

Not too sure how a telnet server works, so I can't give any advice on its setup, but it really sounds like its a config problem with the telnet server. You never mentioned a firewall or anything, so it doesn't sound like anything on the home-side end should be blocking it. Considering that machine has a real IP, then you should be able to connect to it fine....assuming that everything on the telnet server-side is configured properly.

thanks for the help maybe ill just setup and ssh server instead .

hi
    your problem is at follows:
    look for a http-proxy prg. all connections are routed trough port 80. but to point this out.
    you are tunneling the local area firewall.
    THIS NOT A TOY. your admin will kick you out of your network ( even worse, you can loose your job) if he findĀ“s out.