Thread: compiling the kernal in linux mandrake

compiling the kernal in linux mandrake

Ok right now my main pc is windows ME because i have a usb modem and the linux distro I have (mandrake 8.1) says that is it not supported.

However the linux site says that it will work and i found the drivers for my usb adsl modem. Now my question is, how hard is it to recompile the kernal and how much experience with linux should i have before i try and do it myself?

Keep in mind that i have just started using linux about 1 week ago :/
    \"Drastic times call for drastic measures.\"

not to hard if you cd /usr/src/Whateverlinuxkernel, then type make xconfig a pretty screen pops up then you just click what you want support for, the whole how to is at www.linuxdoc.org
    I toor\'d YOU!

It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. If you'll post a link to the site with the kernel patch, I'll try to walk you through it.

The good thing about Mandrake kernel sources (as opposed to Red Hat) is that a "make mrproper" will give you the same configuration as the installed kernel instead of a plain vanilla configuration that you have to tweak by hand. That way, you don't have to play the guessing game about what you need to enable.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Hey thanks for the replys guys, i have found a how to and i am going to attempt to do it myself. If i mess something up bad i can always reinstall.

But if i do run into a wall problemchild i will give you a pm, if that is ok?

thanks again.
    \"Drastic times call for drastic measures.\"

Sure. I'll try to help if I can.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!