something weird

Thread: something weird

something weird

i have a server and 5 computers that are networked. I realized that the computers sometimes can't connect the http servers like hotmail and yahoo using internet explorer(5 and 6). It takes foreever to list the emails. I checked security options and lower it. the problem did not go away.
    Also when I fill forms like shopping carts client computers cant send the data. Even i couldn't use client computers to post this message. I had to use server for this.
    Do you have any idea what is going on?
    Thank you for your help.

Hak.

One thing that I've seen happen on networked computers in my highschool was firewalls interfering with secure connections. You should try first off disabling your firewall (only long enough to see if that's related).. and if that doesn't work, toggle the options in IE (tools - Internet Options - Advanced (scroll down to sectuurity) that says "Use SSL 3.0" or "Use SSL 2.0".. these two are used over secure connections (shopping carts and hotmail, to name a few) and might help out.

I hope that gives you something to go from.
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.

I did what you said punchthebaby, but no luck. I do not use firewalls. Everthing was working fine till my switch broke down. I replaced it with new one and these problems started. I scaned my ports only http, nnp and https ports are open. I do not know what else I can do?
    Is there something else that I can check?

HAK

IF you got a new switch when the problems started, then you probably have to configure this new switch with software (or switch switches, MY FAVORITE!) .. other than that i think you should ignore me and find useful people to talk to.

What brand was it that broke down, and what's the new one?
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.

If the problem started when u got a new switch then it sounds liek u set it up wrong. Read the manual as dumb as that sounds somethings u need to do something little for everythign to work.
    Ill THink of one when i get time.

They are the same brand. Just replaced it with the new one. It is DLINK's DSS 16+. Its manual has mas more advertisement and warning than usefull information. The switch does not have any configurable parts nor software to install.

HAK

hi,
    pls be more specific so we can have a deeper look into it.
    hmmmm
    what´s the standard settings of your netcards / and on the new switch?
    autoneogation ?
    half duplex?
    full duplex ?
    10/100 or 20/200 ?
    check your tcpip. what happens if you do a ping inside your network ?
    is the https port open 431 for traffic ? what firewall ( if any) is running in at your network ?
    greetings m.

Hi,
    NIC's on computers are realtek(10/100) and server has ACER NIC(10/100)
    They are configured as auto mode. Except the problem I have, everthing is working great. Computers and server can share files and see eachother on the LAN. Also I am using ICS to share internet.
    Client computers can connect internet with no problem. they can get emails, but can' t send emails. Also filling forms like shopping card hotmail, yahoo and this forum, it takes foreever, then timeout occurres. But server has no problem, it is functioning flawlessly.
    It is running windows Advanced server and clients are running windows 2000 PRO.
    Client computers are getting their IP' s from DHCP server.
    I do not have any firewall.
    I called my ISP, I thought they closed the ports. They said no. I did not trust them and got a SMTP account from the company that my domain name served. it did not work.
    I am hopeless right now. I tried everthing I know. But no luck so far.

HAK

Hi,
    You said ICS to share internet. Well i have something similar when sharint the internet on a XP box using ICS and other two PC's with ME. I check KB from M$ and found nothing.
    Finally i gave up and setup the DSL connection on a Dlink Gateway, and all the HW on it. It started to work fine.
    Maybe is the ICS thing, i tryied several times with no luck.
    Just a Thought!!

Kitain
    Tudo que rela é relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON