Thread: Modifying Windows (changeing filesystem && shell)

Modifying Windows (changeing filesystem && shell)

Hi, I have Windows 98 SE and am interested in changeing my file system.

I have read that FAT32 is not very secure as far as file permisions are concerned, I have also hered that Windows 98 does not suport NFTS

I would like to change my file system. I am interested in NFTS, is it true that Windows 98 SE does not suport NFTS and if so is there other file systems that Windows 98 can suport?

I have also changed my shell again, Open Vision was great but hoged alot of my RAM, so now I am useing aston.

Periodicaly I also like to take a stroll around the windows directory to see if there is anything I can delete or change. I do this when I get bored. I am sure many of you also change things in your operating system.

I use Xteq Xsetup as given in my signature, to fine tune my configuration files as I am not that confident to do it myself yet. I am woundering if besides changeing the windows shell, file system and ocasional registry tweak, is there anything else someone has changed that they would mind shareing?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

No chance. Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS at all. You need Windows NT (an antique), Windows 2k, or XP. 98 only supports FAT16 and FAT32. If you want to change filesystems, you'll need to change OSes.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I agree... (98 does not support NTFS). If you want to secure files you can use some 3rd party utilities. PGP has some good file encryption utilities and there is a freeware version.

Check out www.pgpi.org
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

It kindof bugs me that there arent more hacks for Windows 98 built by the "in-crowd" in the computer world that will make the beast calm down and work. It'd be nice if somebody could decompile all the many files that make up windows, or reverse engineer them, so we could all get a nice hard look at what makes 'er tick... and maybe fix it, custom tailor it, etc.

Why oh why is Microsoft so greedy? (sob)
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.

It is unfortunate. I cant get a newer version of windows because my processor is too slow. I will definatewly try PGP, thanks for the tip.

A month or two ago I did a web search for PGP because I did not know what it was, I found a article about it but was reluctant to try it out. I guess thats my only options is third party encrypters, shells, memory managers...

My next step will be to find myself a memory manager.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Win2k only needs a 133mhz processer and, I think only 32 megs of ram. Your box has faster guts then that right?

The Iceman Cometh
    If you're running 98, NT 4.0 should fly on your computer. It only requires a minimum of a 486 processor and 12 MB of RAM. Granted, I would highly suggest more than that, but that's what it will work on.

Also, as Infernal recommended, Windows 2000 definately runs fine on a 133+ MHz computer. All of my workstations are NT-based (either NT 4, 2k or XP) and some of them are quiet old (I figure why get rid of them if I can just install 2k server and cluster them. :-)

AJ

Try running with a 75 mHZ processor before complaining about having a slow processor I'd overclock it if I weren't afraid of frying it.
    [glowpurple]It all works out in the end.[/glowpurple]

But that\'s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Dennis Miller

I've just recently discovered PGP myself,and still experimenting with it.So far I'm pretty impressed.I'd definately recommend it.Here's a site with the freeware version.
    http://www.pgp.com/display.php?pageID=2
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

vengeance - I've overclocked pc's before to places i never thought possible.. frying it doens't seem too likely. Especially at that speed. What kind of proc is it? Depending on the model, it's possible that chips that came out later were just the old chip with a higher clock speed.

I currently run a 180Mhz PPro, which does it's job just fine when oc'ed to 200. Insanely high proc speeds are for insecure men. Heh.
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.