Thread: AV software

AV software

Is anyone here familiar with Sophos AV softwarre.
    I am looking for opinions regarding it's quality and ease of use and installation for enterprise use.
    In the breifest flash I once understood the concept of randomness as a reflex. My question,\"Is it voluntary?\"
    5amYan
    --last line--<4.6692016090

i often go to sophos for information regarding virii. they have a pretty comprehensive site and know what they are doing. i have not used the software in particular, so i can't say one from another on that, but as a AV company, they are on top of things when new virii come out. between norton, mcaffe and sophos, you can usually find up to the minute updates when the big ones strike. so my final answer will be: do not discount them. and keep them in your bookmarks.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

hi
    I use this software on my systems. in my opinion ( i tried several av´s ) it´s a very good one.
    you install in the first month the av software. and than go to the sophos website and download the monthly upgrade . you can subscribe to get info about new ide files ( ide files are virus pattern which will be include in the next monthly upgrade). just download the ides and place it in the folder where sophos is installed. automatic upgrades like antivir or ( I hate it !!) symantec is not included, but for me it is not an fault its feature. you know what you are downloading...!!! if you run a server ( nt /w2k) than you can manage to centralize your installation.
    very powerfull scanner.
    but...... there are always to sides of a coin :-)
    if sophos detects a virus it does not clean the file, you have to delete it and replace it with a new one. again ! for me its another feature. this is the safest way to get rid of the buggers
    greetings m.

Thumbs down sophos sucks

sophos has to be one of the worst av's there is. ive done alot of looking for the best firewall and av protection and when i tested sophos it missed loads of well known viruses that i have found with other av's

also it has probably the worst huristics scaning and theres no auto update.

there is no clear winner when it comes to av's but my top 3 wold be

etrust armour suite
    panda av
    avg

ive been testing av's for about a month now using a variation of about 20 known viruses and about 5 unknown.
    these 3 pick them all up.
    sophos only caught 5 known

Can anyone here dispute or validate scoobs claims?

Not that I disbeleive you scoobs...I just like confirmation.
    <singing>I f I only had a lab.</singing>
    In the breifest flash I once understood the concept of randomness as a reflex. My question,\"Is it voluntary?\"
    5amYan
    --last line--<4.6692016090

you wanna see a good test and review on AV packages ?

check out this place.. http://pixelpros.net/box/anti-virri-roundup.shtml

F-prot AV was the one who seemed to have the most advantages..
    especially when it came to CPU usage

i can prove

i cant prove my findings but pc world ( i know pc world but they did do a good review) did a good review of them and sophos soory to say came almost bottom if not bottom and missed like 6 well known viruses