Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!!!!! my Mom's puter is messed up!!

HELP!!!!!!!! my Mom's box is FUC***

guys,
    I need suggestions NOW. I run a home LAN over my linksys router. I can surf sites ok but my Mom just today started getting DNS errors on her box....If we don't fix this I may not be here much longer cause I may be dead .

She has a PII 233 running Win 98 and IE 6

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Check this for more info.

Right click Network Neighborhood.

Choose the Properties option Scroll to the TCP/IP listing for your NIC card and highlight it

Click the Properties button

Click the IP Address tab

Select the option for Specify an IP Address

In the IP Address field specify an address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. Make sure each client PC has a different address!

In the Subnet Mask field enter the following Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Click on the Gateway tab

Enter the IP address of the router in the Gateway field. The default address is 192.168.1.1

Click the Add button

Click the DNS configuration tab.

Select the Enable DNS radio button.

Enter this computer's name in the Host field, this must be a name not used for any other computer on your network It can be as easy as "computer2" as this host name is not used for the Internet.

Leave the Domain field BLANK

In the DNS server search order you will need to enter the IP address of your ISP’s DNS server(s). This should have been provided to you by your ISP. If you do not know the IP addresses of your ISP’s DNS server, use the winipcfg command to find out.

Enter the domain name of your ISP in the Domain Suffix Search Order box. This will be something like ne.mediaone.net or ca.calgary.home.net.
    If you're not sure what to enter, follow the procedure on this page.

Click OK – you will need to reboot the machine

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    Check this for more info.

Right click Network Neighborhood.

Choose the Properties option Scroll to the TCP/IP listing for your NIC card and highlight it

Click the Properties button

Click the IP Address tab

Select the option for Specify an IP Address

In the IP Address field specify an address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. Make sure each client PC has a different address!

In the Subnet Mask field enter the following Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Click on the Gateway tab

Enter the IP address of the router in the Gateway field. The default address is 192.168.1.1

Click the Add button

Click the DNS configuration tab.

Select the Enable DNS radio button.

Enter this computer's name in the Host field, this must be a name not used for any other computer on your network It can be as easy as "computer2" as this host name is not used for the Internet.

Leave the Domain field BLANK

In the DNS server search order you will need to enter the IP address of your ISP’s DNS server(s). This should have been provided to you by your ISP. If you do not know the IP addresses of your ISP’s DNS server, use the winipcfg command to find out.

Enter the domain name of your ISP in the Domain Suffix Search Order box. This will be something like ne.mediaone.net or ca.calgary.home.net.
    If you're not sure what to enter, follow the procedure on this page.

Click OK – you will need to reboot the machine
    Gonna go check the settings now

If Xmaddness hasn't already nailed it :
    a - start -> settings -> control panel -> network -> remove the client and the protocols (leave your adapters alone) - click okay but do not restart
    b - start -> run -> regedit
    c - back up your registry [registry -> export registry file]
    d - remove the following reg entries :
    : hk_localmachine/system/currentcontrolset/services/winsock and winsock 2
    : hk_localmachine/system/currentcontrolset/services/vxd/DHCP, MSTCP, Winsock
    and Winsock2
    e - close your regeditor
    f - start -> settings -> control panel -> network
    g - readd TCP/IP (add -> protocol -> add -> microsoft -> TCP/IP -> okay
    h - reconfigure the TCP/IP as required to work on your router
    i - hit okay and reboot when prompted
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    And if all else fails.....

reboot, hit F8 and choose command prompt only.

type regscan

restore registry from a previous working day...

that should take care of it if none of the above works...

ok guys how's this for wacked out??

My Mom's box: can't surf, mouse moves slow. I reboot it. mouse won't move at ALL for like 2 minutes, then it frees up and she can surf again. while this is going on I an't check my mail or use My MSN or Yahoo Messengers, Now I can

another thing 2 i know from personal expieriance that IE goes A.W.O.L i suggest trying another browser like mozilla or opera u dont get 1 single D.N.S error using these browsers and opera is much faster to but java is shitty for opera ratman2 i suggest using another browser IE uses to much resources on your box to switch to another browser and i swear u wont get 1 single D.N.S error plz try my method i think u would be ok with another browser
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Originally posted here by Louie
    Did you download a virus for her?? Sounds kinda of fishy....

I would get a bootable Norton CD and SCAN...
    My first thought....scanned the box and nice and clean....no problems anywhere now hmmmm

Originally posted here by Ratman2
    ok guys how's this for wacked out??

My Mom's box:

There's a sick joke in there somewhere....Sorry Ratman2......couldn't resist.

There's a sick joke in there somewhere
    Oh, man.... that's just WRONG. ROTFLMAO
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!