Thread: Hot Wired

Lightbulb Hot Wired

Ever run across a box that had one of those keylock switchs on it? Well I sure did, I picked it up from an old office for free. Everything was all fine and great until I tried to start it up. It was locked and I didn't have a key. While most locks are disabled when removed from the mobo, this one was soldered on. So here's a tip, simply disconnect the two wires from the lock (I think most of these keylocks only have two) and connect them, fooling the mobo into thinking that the switch is ON, hot wired kinda like a car.

Banned
    Lame..... this is a security site. This would have been a OK post if you would have made suggestions on how to prevent peaple from manually breaking into PCs, your car, doors, and windows but instead you come across as a sKIDDO braging and all.

Errr... sorry for all the flame but this is like the 2nd of 3rd post on breaking into things.

I see. Well, I did not intend to brag and I apologize if this post came off that way to you. I simply thought I would share what I considered useful knowledge with the community. Plus although this is a security site, the General Chit Chat forum is specifically for "whatever's on your mind, as long as it doesn't fit in another forum." Also, how can one know how to secure something if he has no idea of how it's broken into?

Haven't seen one of those key locks on new computers for about 4 years now. The locks are so simple your better off just using a bios password. At lest with a bios password you have to wait a few minuets for the password to be forgotten after you take out the coin battery.

I don't see anyting wrong with this thread since there are few computers with the lock and even less people who use them. Plus there worth less
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.