SecurID

Thread: SecurID

Exclamation SecurID

Is anyone using two-factor authentication for network authentication? I have seen it used for Remote Access via RAS and VPN, but I want to know what kinds of issues, if any, are people running into when using a solution such as this for network logon/authentication. At first thought, it doesn't seem practical, but I don't know. That would mean many many tokens in circulation.

I have been using securID for access to our VPN since I started with my current company, and besides waiting for the new 30 second bar to enter in the code I have had no problems. I believe the security is efficient, our cards have a 90 day life span, we have the SID number, personal pin, user name, and password for access.

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File
    I have been using securID for access to our VPN since I started with my current company, and besides waiting for the new 30 second bar to enter in the code I have had no problems. I believe the security is efficient, our cards have a 90 day life span, we have the SID number, personal pin, user name, and password for access.
    - I've used a secure ID at my last job and my current job. The current one requires that you enter the token twice -waiting for a new number + pin before entering the second one. I think it is a very secure protocal and have no problems with it. I think the cards come from http://www.rsasecurity.com/ and now they fit on key chains.

Cheers,
    -D

I still have the big thick blue card with the small digital screen on the top right. It has a white strip and SecurID in red. I would much rather have one that fits on a keychain..

Youíre forgetting the most important thing. SecurID cards make you feel important. While all your friends are using screen saver passwords you have a cool keychain that spits out random numbers and somehow stays in sync with some SecurID server or what ever the hell keeps track of things on the other end. The only problem is that just as your almost done entering your number it changes and you have to start again. Itís enough to drive you nuts.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

SecurID

Yeah, it kinda makes me feel important. The keyfob is pretty cool, especially since I know a little about it. The changing numbers are not so bad, they only change every 60 secs, and you can tell when they are getting ready to change. I think it will be the way to go (two-factor authentication); heck, biometrics will probably get pretty established soon. I wouldn't be surprised. You know what I've found - my job sent me to another state to take a course to become an RSA Certified SecurID Administrator, but that credential doesn't seem to mean jack in the field. I think it has it's plus, however.

Speaking of biometrics, we have gone to finger print scanning for our doors to our offices, and soon will be implementing the same for our PCs. The downside with the "off the shelf" fingerprint scanners are that they dont work with domains (at least the MS scanner does not work).
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Ummm.... Did you notice how old this thread is?

I mean for ****s sake... unless it's some kind of important update to the thread... if it's more than two weeks old... let the damn thing stay dead.