Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i know the best av's

Talking i know the best av's

Ive been testing av's for about a month now using many known viruses some unknown and trogans

i have come to the conclusion that there are about 2 or 3 good ones but the rest just dont quite cut it.

it would take far to long to type out all the tests but belive me i tested them thuroghly.

THIS IS THE GOD OF ALL:

1.etrust armor suite.

this is what i use and it rules. picks up all the viruses i use to test and unknown ones with no false posatives.
    it has a email client scanner and trojan monertering device.
    its easy to install and use.auto updates. this is the only anti virus that has all the features that any other av has. usualy i find a good av but it has one or two small fatures missing like good huristics scanning or no email scanner etc
    It has the biggest virus database ive seen and has the complete wild list in it as well

NORTANS sucks

And lately ive been seeing alot of people saying the like nortans. tut tut.
    if this is you, you are nothing but sheep following the trend.
    yes nortans is the most known and common and that is why it is chosen the most.

nortans only good feature is there live update. true it does catch most viruses but it has no heristics scanning and it is a trojans dream.
    i used several trojans testing it and it was the only av that got shut down by them (these were trojans desined to shut down av's by the way)

The other good avs are panda and normans'

thanks for the info. you are right about norton and the heuristic scan, which is why i use tfak along with it.

out of curiosity: what do you think about the other leading names... sophos, mcafee... others that elude me right now....
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

I don't know what you've been testing, but NAV has been a Godsend. After being less than satisfied with McAfee, I tested out both Norton and Trend Micro. Norton Corporate works the best. With great server side console, easy unattended installs, and easy to distrubute client disks, I couldn't go wrong. Has picked up every virus coming in to the place, adn found some that McAfee had missed. Plus LiveUpdate is the easiest way to update, and the downloads are small -- perfect for my clients here. And I have no idea what you are talking about -- NAV Corporate has heuristic scanning.

I did look into etrust (formerly InnoculanIT) and found very little customer support. And as much success as I had using the former product at my last employers, I couldn't bear to bring it in here.

However, all this good from my verson my be simply because it is Corporate Edition, as the executables differ from those that anti-av viruses shutdown.

So Norton isn't all bad. It certainly fits my needs very well -- and with many ignorant users in my network, it's worked like a dream.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

I've been using Norton for the past 5 years(just the normal personal edition), and I've never been infected. Cant say I've tried armor suite, but then again I never had to
    And please dont call people sheep who dont agree with you.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

look at this thread and go check out the AV test and review link I posted.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=233531

Sorry for calling u sheep. i only meant it to people that havent done reasarch and just see nortans and go 'hey look at the nice colors, its got to be good

and to the persons that said alot about nortan. its not diabolical.but what im saying is that there is better.about a year ago i was using nortans and i would never of changed.
    but then i did some reasarch.nortans does pick up most viruses yes but if you hae'nt tried any others there might be viruses on your machine that you dont know about.

and to the comment thay nortans does have heurists.its not true. try command av, its known to have the best heuristcs scanner it the world, then when u find loads of new bugs worms and viruses on you machine, get abetter av

all i suggest is that you have a try with some of the ones that i suggested. if your happy using nortans then stick with it but im telling you that there are better.

qwerty_smith :
    IVE TRIED MACAFFE AND I WAS HAPPY UNTILL I TESTED A FEW OTHERS AND I FOUND THAT IT MISSED ABOUT 10 VIRUSES, APPART FROM NOT ACCTULLY BEING ABLE TO DETECT VIRUSE ITS GOOD.SOPHOS IT THE WORST OF ALL.ITS SO CRAP ITS NOT WORTH BOTHERING.JUST TRY THE ONES I SAID, THERE THE BEST
    1.E TRUST ARMOUR SUITE
    2.PANDA
    3.NORMANS
    4.maybe AVG
    5 f- secure is good to but resource hungry
    6 command is good for heuristics but not much else

(OHH BY THE WAY I HAVE 2000 SERVER AND I USED CORPERATE ADDITION AS WELL. IS SLIGHTLY BETTER BUT MINIMAL)

I was mistaken -- it doesn't have heuristic scanning, but rather Digital Immune System. Not quite the same, but close.

I've been very happy with Norton in all facets from ease of install to administration. And it caught everything McAfee left behind.

And it's the ease of use and smallest downloads that played the biggest part in my decision -- with 56K-ers amongst my users, it makes their lives easier, and saves them time -- which is better spent pushing our product. E-trust may be better, but I bet my users wouldn't be able to use it effectively -- computer illiterate is too mild of a term.

Just my personal reasoning behind it. That and it's been tested and doesn't interfer with our proprietary software.

Not all of us follow blindly -- we just happen to be going the same way.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

ok

im not here to tell everyone what to use but to give the best advice i can.
    if you want to stick to nortans i have no complantes but i think i should inform all nortan users
    out there that nortans is easaly shut down by av killing Trojans and its about the only av that is.

Its a fact, tried and tested.
    [gloworange]The Enemy Is Ignorance[/gloworange]

http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=194

I think the problem was when you stated your opinion as absolute fact and then accused anyone who disagreed with you of being sheep. The fact is, there are different tools for different situations, and you can't say what each and every user out there needs. Everybody has to make that judgment for themselves based on their particular situation and personal preferences.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Old Fart
    scoobs...go read this and you might understand the response you've been getting...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234143
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...